Viviane Reding, the European Commissioner for Justice, who had strongly considered taking France to court over its expulsion this year of thousands of Roma migrants, has dropped the idea.
Reding told euronews: “The Roma dossier will be sorted out in France from the time the serious proposals that the French government has submitted to us are applied to French law.”
Human rights groups, the Catholic Church and the United Nations have said France’s policy of expelling some 8,000 people from Europe’s largest ethnic minority to Romania and Bulgaria this year was discriminatory.
The European Commission had accused France of failing to include EU rules on migrants in its own laws. Paris said last week a new immigration package would address the Commission’s criticism.
French authorities, however, have defended the expulsions, saying they were legal and necessary for public order.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news