Viviane Reding, the European Commissioner for Justice, who had strongly considered taking France to court over its expulsion this year of thousands of Roma migrants, has dropped the idea.
Reding told euronews: “The Roma dossier will be sorted out in France from the time the serious proposals that the French government has submitted to us are applied to French law.”
Human rights groups, the Catholic Church and the United Nations have said France’s policy of expelling some 8,000 people from Europe’s largest ethnic minority to Romania and Bulgaria this year was discriminatory.
The European Commission had accused France of failing to include EU rules on migrants in its own laws. Paris said last week a new immigration package would address the Commission’s criticism.
French authorities, however, have defended the expulsions, saying they were legal and necessary for public order.
- 1Europe’s open border dilemma; is Schengen a success?
- 2Why you should not pay more for goods in other EU countries
- 3“Frustration, mistrust and disappointment” – Turkey’s strained ties with Europe
- 4MEPs set out position on EU-US trade deal
- 5EU calls for 40,000 asylum seekers from Italy, Greece to be relocated
- 1EU calls for 40,000 asylum seekers from Italy, Greece to be relocated
- 2Poroshenko has ‘full evidence’ of Russia’s presence in Ukraine
- 3EU warns eastern neighbours of long road to closer ties
- 4Europe Weekly: EU backs migrant mission to its south, looks east
- 5Europe’s open border dilemma; is Schengen a success?
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent