Viviane Reding, the European Commissioner for Justice, who had strongly considered taking France to court over its expulsion this year of thousands of Roma migrants, has dropped the idea.
Reding told euronews: “The Roma dossier will be sorted out in France from the time the serious proposals that the French government has submitted to us are applied to French law.”
Human rights groups, the Catholic Church and the United Nations have said France’s policy of expelling some 8,000 people from Europe’s largest ethnic minority to Romania and Bulgaria this year was discriminatory.
The European Commission had accused France of failing to include EU rules on migrants in its own laws. Paris said last week a new immigration package would address the Commission’s criticism.
French authorities, however, have defended the expulsions, saying they were legal and necessary for public order.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news