Viviane Reding, the European Commissioner for Justice, who had strongly considered taking France to court over its expulsion this year of thousands of Roma migrants, has dropped the idea.
Reding told euronews: “The Roma dossier will be sorted out in France from the time the serious proposals that the French government has submitted to us are applied to French law.”
Human rights groups, the Catholic Church and the United Nations have said France’s policy of expelling some 8,000 people from Europe’s largest ethnic minority to Romania and Bulgaria this year was discriminatory.
The European Commission had accused France of failing to include EU rules on migrants in its own laws. Paris said last week a new immigration package would address the Commission’s criticism.
French authorities, however, have defended the expulsions, saying they were legal and necessary for public order.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum