Thousands of anti-Chinese protesters have been marching through Tokyo to vent their anger in an ongoing row over disputed islands.
As the demonstration went ahead, simultaneous marches were held in several Chinese cities in protest against the Japanese government’s refusal to cede the islands to China.
Police in Tokyo arrested some isolated pro-Chinese counter-protesters for their own safety as emotions were running high.
At the centre of the dispute is a chain of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea called Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.
The islands are close to potentially huge oil and gas reserves which Asia’s top two economies are eager to exploit.
Relations worsened sharply last month when coastguards detained a Chinese trawler captain whose fishing vessel collided with Japanese naval patrol boats close to the islands.
In an attempt to defuse the diplomatic row both sides are trying to arrange a formal summit meeting between the two countries aimed at improving ties.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:37 CET Senior court official says China to continue death penalty reform
- 05:28 CET Multi-national crew reaches space station
- 05:26 CET U.S. Army base in Texas lifts lockdown after suspicious vehicle…
- 05:18 CET Mexico summons Uruguay ambassador over president’s comments on…
- 01:05 CET Afghan women excluded from peace talks with Taliban – aid agency
- 00:01 CET Landmark Tunisian presidential election seen heading for run-off
- 23:20 CET Portugal ex-PM Socrates still in custody, more questioning on…
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner