Thousands of anti-Chinese protesters have been marching through Tokyo to vent their anger in an ongoing row over disputed islands.
As the demonstration went ahead, simultaneous marches were held in several Chinese cities in protest against the Japanese government’s refusal to cede the islands to China.
Police in Tokyo arrested some isolated pro-Chinese counter-protesters for their own safety as emotions were running high.
At the centre of the dispute is a chain of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea called Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.
The islands are close to potentially huge oil and gas reserves which Asia’s top two economies are eager to exploit.
Relations worsened sharply last month when coastguards detained a Chinese trawler captain whose fishing vessel collided with Japanese naval patrol boats close to the islands.
In an attempt to defuse the diplomatic row both sides are trying to arrange a formal summit meeting between the two countries aimed at improving ties.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 16:29 CET Would-be Moldova election kingmaker flees country ahead of Sunday…
- 15:58 CET Two dead in Egypt violence and Islamist protests
- 15:51 CET China probes ‘five networks’ of disgraced ex-security chief -…
- 15:31 CET Pope urges solidarity to stop aggressors in Syria and Iraq
- 15:29 CET France’s Hollande brings message of hope to Ebola-stricken Guinea
- 15:25 CET South African mother turns tragedy into fight against HIV -…
- 15:09 CET Croatia PM cancels Belgrade trip over freeing of war crimes suspect
- 15:04 CET Eyeing deadline, France to back Palestinian state if peace talks…