Another 24-hour nationwide strike has begun in France, in protest against government plans to raise the country’s retirement age from 60 to 62.
Train drivers in Paris were the first to stop work as transport workers throughout the country plan to disrupt rail and air travel – some major unions are even proposing open ended disruption.
They are expected to be joined by workers throughout the French economy with support for the action appearing widespread.
Street protests are being planned for later today as well as on Saturday – last month such action was backed by over one million demonstrators.
In Marseilles – a key Mediterranean oil port – a strike by dockers has entered its third week forcing a partial shut-down of a major refinery ahead of today’s national stoppage .
The union action is being seen as crunch time for the government and President Sarkozy whose pension age hike is a major part of his budget reforms.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 22:12 CET Gunman kills Bosnian policeman in apparent Islamist attack
- 21:49 CET U.S., allies conduct 31 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – U.S. military
- 21:47 CET Three car bombs kill 19 in Baghdad
- 21:02 CET Nepal scrambles to organise quake relief, many flee capital
- 20:39 CET Stage set for landmark U.S. Supreme Court gay marriage arguments
- 20:18 CET U.S., Japan unveil new defence guidelines for global Japanese role
- 20:13 CET Islamic State kills five journalists working for Libyan TV station…
- 20:01 CET Mexico’s ruling PRI leads field ahead of mid-term vote – poll