Hungary has launched a criminal investigation into the industrial toxic mud spill from a ruptured chemical reservoir, south west of Budapest.
At least four people have died and hundreds have had to be evacuated after their homes were engulfed on Monday with the waste product sludge from an aluminium plant.
Production at the Ajka site has been stopped until further notice.
In the worst hit town of Kolontar locals are trying to initiate a joint legal action for compensation.
The mayor Of Kolontar, Karoly Tili said:
“So we were sitting on a time bomb that has now exploded.Those responsible will be brought to justice mercilessly. No one can do such a thing without punishment.”
The European Union has urged emergency authorities to prevent the contaminated slurry from reaching the Danube River which is a source of drinking water for five countries down stream.
Fears are growing over the toxicity of the red slick and ph measurements have already shown it has a dangerously high alkaline value.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:41 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. Defense secretary, official says
- 16:24 CET Alleged Sinaloa cartel logistics head to be sentenced in Chicago
- 16:02 CET India’s Congress signals it could back Modi’s insurance reform plan
- 15:57 CET Tunisia presidential vote heads into close run-off
- 15:50 CET Italy’s Renzi wins regional vote, low turnout sends warning
- 15:48 CET Sri Lanka’s Rajapaksa wins 2015 budget vote despite defections
- 15:45 CET Death toll in southern Morocco floods rises to 32
- 15:43 CET Spain arrests three priests, layman in Granada sexual abuse ring