Spanish police have arrested more than 40 people suspected of laundering millions of euros to finance Colombian rebels from the FARC.
250 officers carried out nearly 30 raids, while similar operations took place in Colombia and Ecuador.
Police believe drug trafficking has enabled the launderers to stash away more than 200 million euros.
The raids follow a two-year investigation by police. In August 2008 they noticed a significant increase in money transfers from Spain to Latin America.
Colombian police identified where the money was going: to finance the FARC. They discovered that one of the beneficiaries of the transfers was wanted for murder and terrorism and had links with five known guerillas.
The source of the funds is thought to be cocaine production. Latin America is a major producer; Spain the main entry port into Europe.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget