The United States is taking action against Iran over alleged human rights abuses committed after last year’s presidential elections.
Announcing the move, Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State said: “We now have at our disposal a new tool that allows us to designate individual Iranians, officials responsible for, or complicit, in serious human rights violations.”
Washington has imposed sanctions against Iran over several issues, including its nuclear program, but this is the first time its actions are based on alleged human rights abuses.
The group of eight include the commander of the Revolutionary Guards and several cabinet ministers.
Any assets or dealings they have in the US are now subject to seizure or bans.
Last year’s street protests were put down violently by the Revolutionary Guard. Mass detentions and trials followed. Two people were hanged and scores of detainees remain in jail.
The individuals targeted by the new US sanctions:
1. Mohammad Ali JAFARI
[Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, born Sept. 1, 1957]
2. Sadegh MAHSOULI
[Minister of Welfare and Social Security, former Minister of the Interior and Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces for Law Enforcement, born 1959]
3. Gholam Hossein MOHSENI-EJEI
[Prosecutor-General of Iran, former Minister of Intelligence, born circa 1956]
4. Saeed MORTAZAVI
[Head of Iranian Anti-Smuggling Task Force, former Prosecutor-General of Tehran, born 1967]
5. Heydar MOSLEHI
[Minister of Intelligence, born 1956]
6. Mostafa Mohammad NAJJAR
[Minister of the Interior and Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces for Law Enforcement, born 1956]
7. Ahmad-Reza RADAN
[Deputy Chief of the National Police, born 1963 or 1964]
8. Hossein TAEB
[Deputy Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Commander for Intelligence, former Commander of the Basij Forces, born 1963]
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.