A deadly bomb attack has struck a military parade in Iran.
At least 12 women and children are dead and 60 others wounded.
The event was being held to mark the 30th anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war.
“We were just standing there and suddenly a bomb exploded,” said one victim. “We all ran away. When I wanted to move, I noticed I couldn’t move my legs.”
“A lot of people were injured and killed, a lot of children,” said another victim. “The bomb exploded right next to me.”
The attack happened in the West Azerbaijan region, in the city of Mahabad, which has a mostly Kurdish population.
“The source of this incident is foreign,” said the regional governor, Vahid Jalalzadeh. “Unfortunately Americans and their allies are present in the region and from the day that they came with their security slogan, we witnessed a spread of instability. Their support for counter-revolutionaries, hypocrites and terrorist groups in the region has been clearly proven.”
Authorities say the bomb had a timer device and had been left in a tree before the parade started.
No casualties were reported among soldiers or dignitaries attending the event.
It was one of several parades held across Iran today.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 3Taiwan: at least 18 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
- 4World condemns North Korean satellite launch
- 5EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
North Korea launches rocket, defying international warnings
Somali passenger jet ‘holed by bomb’
Five killed in ‘massive’ avalanche in Austrian Alps
Wires > News
- 10:16 CET Australia pledges aid to help Tonga, Pacific with Zika
- 10:14 CET Travel agency in isolated Gaza recalls the ‘golden’ 1950s
- 10:11 CET Insight – In southern Africa, an illusion built on aid heralds…
- 08:16 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 07:16 CET Malaysia’s new Twitter police target critics of PM Najib
- 04:45 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 04:07 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants