A deadly bomb attack has struck a military parade in Iran.
At least 12 women and children are dead and 60 others wounded.
The event was being held to mark the 30th anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war.
“We were just standing there and suddenly a bomb exploded,” said one victim. “We all ran away. When I wanted to move, I noticed I couldn’t move my legs.”
“A lot of people were injured and killed, a lot of children,” said another victim. “The bomb exploded right next to me.”
The attack happened in the West Azerbaijan region, in the city of Mahabad, which has a mostly Kurdish population.
“The source of this incident is foreign,” said the regional governor, Vahid Jalalzadeh. “Unfortunately Americans and their allies are present in the region and from the day that they came with their security slogan, we witnessed a spread of instability. Their support for counter-revolutionaries, hypocrites and terrorist groups in the region has been clearly proven.”
Authorities say the bomb had a timer device and had been left in a tree before the parade started.
No casualties were reported among soldiers or dignitaries attending the event.
It was one of several parades held across Iran today.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 17:15 CET Bomb kills dozens in north Nigeria, gunmen open fire on crowd
- 17:13 CET Pakistan kills leader of anti-Shi’ite militants in southwest
- 17:10 CET U.S. only training 60 Syrian fighters, far below expectations
- 17:00 CET Sponsors of Colombian peace talks worry over escalation of war
- 16:38 CET Cartoonist cyber-bullied as Greek politics turn sour
- 15:49 CET Turning 18, Malala says she’ll remain ‘voice of children’
- 15:11 CET Six powers and Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline – EU
- 15:09 CET Brazil’s Rousseff tells paper she is uncowed by opposition calls…