A deadly bomb attack has struck a military parade in Iran.
At least 12 women and children are dead and 60 others wounded.
The event was being held to mark the 30th anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war.
“We were just standing there and suddenly a bomb exploded,” said one victim. “We all ran away. When I wanted to move, I noticed I couldn’t move my legs.”
“A lot of people were injured and killed, a lot of children,” said another victim. “The bomb exploded right next to me.”
The attack happened in the West Azerbaijan region, in the city of Mahabad, which has a mostly Kurdish population.
“The source of this incident is foreign,” said the regional governor, Vahid Jalalzadeh. “Unfortunately Americans and their allies are present in the region and from the day that they came with their security slogan, we witnessed a spread of instability. Their support for counter-revolutionaries, hypocrites and terrorist groups in the region has been clearly proven.”
Authorities say the bomb had a timer device and had been left in a tree before the parade started.
No casualties were reported among soldiers or dignitaries attending the event.
It was one of several parades held across Iran today.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
Egypt: 25 people killed in fire at furniture factory
Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
Kerry insists Iran will be under “enormous constraints” under nuclear deal
West Bank: Jewish settlers scuffle with police
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe