A deadly bomb attack has struck a military parade in Iran.
At least 12 women and children are dead and 60 others wounded.
The event was being held to mark the 30th anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war.
“We were just standing there and suddenly a bomb exploded,” said one victim. “We all ran away. When I wanted to move, I noticed I couldn’t move my legs.”
“A lot of people were injured and killed, a lot of children,” said another victim. “The bomb exploded right next to me.”
The attack happened in the West Azerbaijan region, in the city of Mahabad, which has a mostly Kurdish population.
“The source of this incident is foreign,” said the regional governor, Vahid Jalalzadeh. “Unfortunately Americans and their allies are present in the region and from the day that they came with their security slogan, we witnessed a spread of instability. Their support for counter-revolutionaries, hypocrites and terrorist groups in the region has been clearly proven.”
Authorities say the bomb had a timer device and had been left in a tree before the parade started.
No casualties were reported among soldiers or dignitaries attending the event.
It was one of several parades held across Iran today.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 4Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
- 5Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
‘We love peace,’ China’s president proclaims at WWII parade
Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
MH370: experts now certain wing section is from missing plane
Wires > News
- 01:54 CET Guatemala’s president quits, jailed on corruption charges
- 23:49 CET Chinese ships headed home after Bering Sea sighting – U.S. Navy
- 23:30 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 22:32 CET U.N. experts accuse Chad of abuses in Central Africa conflict
- 21:14 CET Leading Islamist party faces test in local Moroccan elections
- 20:16 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 19:05 CET Greek leftists put on brave face as poll shows conservatives…
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight