French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been confronted with firm denials from Berlin after claiming that Germany like France is planning to clear out Roma camps.
Sarkozy said that German Chancellor Angela Merkel had outlined the proposals at the European Union summit in Brussels on Thursday.
“Madame Merkel told me of her wish to clear out encampments in the coming weeks.”
But Germany’s foreign minister Guido Westerwelle flatly denied that such a conversation took place, saying that there were no Roma camps in Germany.
“Chancellor Merkel told me personally that such talks with such content did not take place. I can only think of a misunderstanding.”
French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner, meanwhile, has been seeking to play down talk of a violent row between European Commission President José Manuel Barroso and Sarkozy at the summit, describing their exchanges as “lively and sincere”.
“You see diplomatic incidents everywhere,” he told journalists.
France has attracted international criticism for a repatriation policy targeting Roma migrants.
In the Parisian suburb of Choisy-le-Roi, a communist-led local authority has opened up a special camp to welcome families threatened with expulsion.
Mayor Daniel Davisse said that many had been settled in France for almost 10 years.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Wires > News
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…