The UK is preparing for the controversial visit of Pope Benedict XVI. Its the first Papal visit to Britian since 1982.
The Pope will hold large masses in Glasgow, Birmingham and London but his state visit has attracted criticism.
Many in the UK are strongly opposed to the Vatican’s stance on birth control, gay rights and abortion and are angry at its slow response to recent scandals involving paedophile priests.
During his stay the Pope will meet key British Bishops as well as the Head of the Anglican Church, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman will be the centrepiece of the visit.
Newman tried to move the Anglican Church closer to the Catholicism in the 19th century and is highly controversial.
The visit is expecting to cost over 24 million euros with half the costs met by the taxpayer.
Opinion polls show most Britons are opposed to that.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Turkish military campaign aims to prevent Kurdish unity in Syria -…
- 13:42 CET Shelling in eastern Ukraine kills four civilians, soldier
- 13:18 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 13:17 CET Nigeria, Cameroon vow closer cooperation against Boko Haram
- 13:14 CET Germany’s Schaeuble wants to rebalance EU Commission’s role
- 12:59 CET Political prisoners, Chinese loggers among thousands freed in…
- 12:51 CET Chinese university says professor accused of spying freed on bail…
- 12:24 CET Drone kills four suspected militants in Yemen – residents