The UK is preparing for the controversial visit of Pope Benedict XVI. Its the first Papal visit to Britian since 1982.
The Pope will hold large masses in Glasgow, Birmingham and London but his state visit has attracted criticism.
Many in the UK are strongly opposed to the Vatican’s stance on birth control, gay rights and abortion and are angry at its slow response to recent scandals involving paedophile priests.
During his stay the Pope will meet key British Bishops as well as the Head of the Anglican Church, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman will be the centrepiece of the visit.
Newman tried to move the Anglican Church closer to the Catholicism in the 19th century and is highly controversial.
The visit is expecting to cost over 24 million euros with half the costs met by the taxpayer.
Opinion polls show most Britons are opposed to that.
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 11:22 CET China says tourists attacked in Turkey during anti-China protests
- 11:00 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 08:12 CET China arrests man for suicide ‘rumours’ amid stock market rout -…
- 07:04 CET Colombia peace process now at lowest ebb – government
- 01:50 CET America celebrates July 4 with hot dogs, banners and barbecues
- 01:32 CET China lobbies hard ahead of Manila’s South China Sea arbitration…
- 01:27 CET Small is beautiful, say South Koreans making plans to marry
- 01:06 CET Pope heads to South America to champion the poor and the planet