The UK is preparing for the controversial visit of Pope Benedict XVI. Its the first Papal visit to Britian since 1982.
The Pope will hold large masses in Glasgow, Birmingham and London but his state visit has attracted criticism.
Many in the UK are strongly opposed to the Vatican’s stance on birth control, gay rights and abortion and are angry at its slow response to recent scandals involving paedophile priests.
During his stay the Pope will meet key British Bishops as well as the Head of the Anglican Church, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman will be the centrepiece of the visit.
Newman tried to move the Anglican Church closer to the Catholicism in the 19th century and is highly controversial.
The visit is expecting to cost over 24 million euros with half the costs met by the taxpayer.
Opinion polls show most Britons are opposed to that.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 11French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:59 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 22:56 CET Italy’s top court acquits Amanda Knox of murder
- 22:48 CET Togo says to delay presidential election until April 25
- 22:45 CET Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks – U.S.
- 22:24 CET Syrian army closes in on city near Lebanese border
- 22:22 CET Latvia says Russia’s military rhetoric is ‘alarming’
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court