Setting fire to a country’s flag is arguably one of the worst insults that can be invoked against a fellow nation.
But flags are being burned on the streets of Karachi – an indication of the depth of outrage in Pakistan at what for Muslims is equally offensive,
the burning of the Koran, or holy book.
Some brandished cartoons, in a parody of the 2005 row with Denmark over depictions of the Prophet Mohammed.
In Karachi, Muslims and Christians alike denounced the plans.
“The desecration of any holy book is appalling, it hurts religious and spiritual sentiments. I think people who do this kind of thing are mentally ill.” said the Bishop of Karachi, Sadiq Daniel.
In Islamabad, Pakistan’s Foreign Office was unequivocal in its condemnation:
“We strongly condemn this fanatical approach and oppose those who, in the name of liberty and freedom, are resorting to bigotry and undermining the work that has been done towards inter-faith harmony since 9’11”, said a Foreign Office spokesman.
The France-based international police agency Interpol is warning governments worldwide of the increased risk of terrorist attacks.
The Convocation of American Churches in Europe has also said Christians living in majority muslim countries could be at risk of reprisals.
- 1Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 2Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 3Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 4Twin car bombs at top Baghdad hotels kill 10, wound 30
- 5Malaysia: Police officials arrested as over 100 ‘migrant graves’ discovered
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Iraq ‘exhumes 470 bodies’, thought to be victims of ISIL-led massacre
- 3Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 4‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 5Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 13:39 CET Iran shares some information in nuclear probe, no breakthrough -…
- 13:17 CET Cyprus police probe Israel link in ammonium nitrate haul – media
- 13:12 CET Czech court clears ex-PM’s aide in scandal that toppled government
- 13:07 CET U.S. says China has placed mobile artillery on reclaimed island
- 12:59 CET Nigeria starts new chapter as Buhari sworn in
- 12:57 CET U.S. says China agrees ‘pressure’ key on North Korea
- 12:27 CET South Africa frees anti-apartheid hero murder mastermind
- 12:11 CET Special Report – Russian fighters, caught in Ukraine, cast adrift…