09/09/10 09:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Mexico’s drug-related violence is looking more and more like an insurgency, according to Hillary Clinton.
The US Secretary of State made the comments after a major foreign policy speech in Washington.
She said Mexico was looking increasingly like Colombia 20 years ago, when drugs traffickers controlled parts of the country.
The authorities, she said, needed to maintain their political will to fight the cartels.
“We face an increasing threat from a well-organized network drug-trafficking threat that is in some cases is morphing into or making common cause with what we would consider an insurgency in Mexico and Central America.”
Along the US-Mexican border the drugs gangs have been fighting increasingly violent turf wars.
Mexico insists it’s working with the US, doing all it can to tackle the criminals.
The government argues the problem’s root cause is high demand for drugs in America.
The Mexican government’s spokesman on Security, Alejandro Poire, wouldn’t be drawn on Clinton’s insurgency analogy.
“Of course, we won’t comment on that,” he said, “given the fact that there’s a big difference between what Colombia faced back then and what we are facing right now. There are some similarities though.”
Washington has acknowledged some responsibility, partly over the flow of guns from the US to the cartels.
Mexican authorities recently captured a major drug lord. They’ve also arrested seven suspects over the massacre of dozens of US-bound migrants.
More than 28,000 people have died in drugs-related violence since President Felipe Calderon launched a crackdown after taking office in 2006.
Wires > News
- 11:10 CET Seventeen killed in care home fire in Ukraine
- 11:09 CET French PM says he will not bow to labour reform protestors
- 11:07 CET U.S.-led coalition soldiers seen on frontline of new Kurdish…
- 10:39 CET Iran assembly head wins initial re-election vote – state media
- 09:32 CET Tropical Storm Bonnie bears down on South Carolina coast
- 09:31 CET First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South…
- 05:34 CET Vintage plane crashed in Hudson River during emergency landing -…
- 04:15 CET Clashes between Islamic State, Syria rebels kill dozens near…