Forest fires have flared up again in Russia, this time in the south, forcing hundreds of people to leave their homes.
At least five people have died as a result of the fires, which have been fanned by strong winds.
Residents did what they could to beat back the flames – but in many cases, it was useless.
20 villages in the region of Volgograd have been affected so far. Temperatures here have topped 40 degrees celsius in recent days.
The Kremlin has reportedly ordered local authorities to mobilise all means to fight the fires.
Flames ravaged around a million hectares in central Russia this summer, destroying entire villages and leaving more than 50 people dead.
Daylight, and the full extent of the devastation here becomes evident.
This is a local disaster with potentially global consequences.
Officials now say Russia’s embargo on the export of wheat will not be lifted before next year’s harvest.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Greeks like the sound of Syriza talking tough, but hope it has more than just words to offer
- 273-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 3Podemos holds biggest rally yet in Spanish capital and promises election earthquake
- 4ISIL posts video of the beheading of second Japanese hostage Kenji Goto
- 5Fighting rages in eastern Ukraine as government forces struggle to hold back pro-Russian offensive
- 173-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 2Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 3No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 4Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 544 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 373-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Death toll mounts in Ukraine fighting after peace talks fail
- 16:49 CET Blast targeting bus near Shi’ite shrine in Damascus kills six
- 16:40 CET Jailed Al Jazeera journalist Peter Greste leaves Egypt for…
- 15:47 CET U.S., allies conduct 34 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 14:34 CET Mali armed groups clash near Timbuktu – security sources
- 14:25 CET Pope Francis to visit Sarajevo in June
- 14:12 CET Boko Haram attacks northeast Nigeria’s main city – witnesses
- 14:09 CET Exclusive – Some charities to refuse money from U.S. financier…