Forest fires have flared up again in Russia, this time in the south, forcing hundreds of people to leave their homes.
At least five people have died as a result of the fires, which have been fanned by strong winds.
Residents did what they could to beat back the flames – but in many cases, it was useless.
20 villages in the region of Volgograd have been affected so far. Temperatures here have topped 40 degrees celsius in recent days.
The Kremlin has reportedly ordered local authorities to mobilise all means to fight the fires.
Flames ravaged around a million hectares in central Russia this summer, destroying entire villages and leaving more than 50 people dead.
Daylight, and the full extent of the devastation here becomes evident.
This is a local disaster with potentially global consequences.
Officials now say Russia’s embargo on the export of wheat will not be lifted before next year’s harvest.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
US primaries: Trump leading Republican pack, Sanders gaining on Clinton
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Syrians flee to Turkish border as government forces close in on Aleppo
Wires > News
- 11:24 CET Three British troops injured in covert operation in Iraq – Mirror
- 11:17 CET Australian state premier offers 267 asylum seekers refuge
- 10:41 CET Taiwan quake kills at least eight, fells apartment block
- 10:18 CET Iran mocks Saudi offer to send ground troops to Syria
- 08:26 CET Al Qaeda mourns death of top commander in Yemen
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers