Forest fires have flared up again in Russia, this time in the south, forcing hundreds of people to leave their homes.
At least five people have died as a result of the fires, which have been fanned by strong winds.
Residents did what they could to beat back the flames – but in many cases, it was useless.
20 villages in the region of Volgograd have been affected so far. Temperatures here have topped 40 degrees celsius in recent days.
The Kremlin has reportedly ordered local authorities to mobilise all means to fight the fires.
Flames ravaged around a million hectares in central Russia this summer, destroying entire villages and leaving more than 50 people dead.
Daylight, and the full extent of the devastation here becomes evident.
This is a local disaster with potentially global consequences.
Officials now say Russia’s embargo on the export of wheat will not be lifted before next year’s harvest.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq