Technical meetings on the legality of expulsions of Roma from from France to Romania and Bulgaria are taking place in Brussels. Freedom of movement for EU citizens is under scrutiny. Paris has said its deportation of nearly 9,000 Roma from illegal camps in France so far this year respects EU rules.
Opinions in the European Parliament differ.
MEP Sophia in ‘t Veld told Euronews: “There are still procedural rules to be followed. It is not clear that the French government has done so. In any case there should always be an individual assessment, and it seems very obvious that we are talking about collective expulsions here, which is not the same as an individual assessment.”
The parliament’s political groups are debating the matter. The European Commission is also exploring conditions for the EU’s largest ethnic minority in various countries.
Françoise Le Bail, EC Director-general for Justice, said: “The Commission is well aware of the problems of integration, and is willing to play the role of honest broker between the member states, to allow the development and reinforcement of measures targeted at Roma integration.”
In Brussels, France has defended its Roma expulsions as a crackdown on crime, stressing that those repatriated are given options, and cash incentives.
Human rights activists closely link the political problem with social exclusion, economic difficulties and anti-immigrant feeling, as well as poor conditions for the Roma in their countries of origin, which for most are Romania and Bulgaria.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video