Technical meetings on the legality of expulsions of Roma from from France to Romania and Bulgaria are taking place in Brussels. Freedom of movement for EU citizens is under scrutiny. Paris has said its deportation of nearly 9,000 Roma from illegal camps in France so far this year respects EU rules.
Opinions in the European Parliament differ.
MEP Sophia in ‘t Veld told Euronews: “There are still procedural rules to be followed. It is not clear that the French government has done so. In any case there should always be an individual assessment, and it seems very obvious that we are talking about collective expulsions here, which is not the same as an individual assessment.”
The parliament’s political groups are debating the matter. The European Commission is also exploring conditions for the EU’s largest ethnic minority in various countries.
Françoise Le Bail, EC Director-general for Justice, said: “The Commission is well aware of the problems of integration, and is willing to play the role of honest broker between the member states, to allow the development and reinforcement of measures targeted at Roma integration.”
In Brussels, France has defended its Roma expulsions as a crackdown on crime, stressing that those repatriated are given options, and cash incentives.
Human rights activists closely link the political problem with social exclusion, economic difficulties and anti-immigrant feeling, as well as poor conditions for the Roma in their countries of origin, which for most are Romania and Bulgaria.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary