Germany’s Bundesbank has asked the country’s president, Christian Wulff, to dismiss board member Thilo Sarrazin for his remarks about Muslims and Jews.
Sarrazin suggests in his new book ‘Germany Abolishes Itself’ that Muslim immigrants are incapable of integrating in Europe and that Jews all share a particular gene.
“The board of the Bundesbank (German Central Bank) unanimously decided today to make a request to the German president to dismiss Dr Thilo Sarrazin,” Bundesbank chief Axel Weber told reporters.
The bank’s six board members are all appointed by the government but only the German president can sack them.
It is a step that has never been taken before.
Sarrazin’s book has since shot up to the top of the bestsellers list.
In his work, the 65-year-old economist argues that Muslims are undermining German society, sponging off the state and will eventually swamp the country.
Germany has more than four million Muslims, most of them of Turkish origin.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 01:12 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill 33 security personnel