A third baby has died after receiving a contaminated intravenous drip at Mainz University Hospital in Germany. Two babies died at the hospital on Saturday.
The hospital said its pharmacologists had mixed the drips with components from commercial suppliers. The tubes are also being studied for an unspecified strain of intestinal bacteria.
The head public prosecutor said: “The investigations are concentrating on involuntary manslaughter. The legal aspect is about bodily injury caused by negligence. There are children who were infected with the germs but who survived. The sentence for that is up to three years.”
The hospital said eleven babies had been exposed to the germs. They had been seriously ill already, and were in an intensive-care ward.