Anti-bullfighting campaigners have chosen the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao for a bare-flesh protest against the annual celebration of the matador in the Basque city in northern Spain.
Some 100 activists played dead in the form of a giant bull, their stripped bodies painted black and red.
Animal rights group Anima Naturalis director Alicia Gascon said: “We believe that, after the Catalan parliament’s decision last month to ban bullfighting in the region of Catalonia, communities like the Basque Region could also do it. Basque society is becoming more sensitive, rejecting animal mistreatment.”
The Catalan move to outlaw the centuries-old tradition was a first in mainland Spain.
While the spectacle enjoys a measure of strong support in Bilbao, one resident said: “We’re impressed with how well this protest has been done. We don’t agree with bullfighting.”
The Catalan move partly showed determination in regions like the Basques’ to stand apart from the Spanish nation-state.
This summer, 54 bulls will be killed in Bilbao.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica