A ban on Norwegian female police officers wearing Islamic headscarves has been ruled illegal.
The Norwegian Equality Tribunal said the ban ran counter to the country’s freedom of religion and anti-discrimination laws by depriving a whole category of women from joining the police force.
The row began when a Muslim woman who had applied to become a police officer said she did not want to remove her hijab.
Last year Norway’s centre-left government at first approved a police decision to allow women officers to wear the headscarf but the move sparked outrage. Right-wing groups complained about the so-called “Islamisation” of the country.
The main police union has also voiced concerns saying the headscarf undermines the neutrality of the uniform.
The equality tribunal’s ruling is not legally binding.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:58 CET Australian man could face death penalty in China drug trial
- 09:47 CET Rome airport closed after terminal fire, no serious injuries
- 09:40 CET EU trade chief says EU-Ukraine deal to be implemented from 2016
- 09:31 CET Earthquake of magnitude 7.2 strikes off Papua New Guinea
- 09:29 CET Syrian army kills dozens of rebels near Lebanon border -Manar TV
- 09:10 CET Hundreds of bodies may be buried in Nepal avalanche, official says
- 08:55 CET Two Egyptian policemen killed in Sinai shooting – security sources
- 08:45 CET China warns Philippine military planes away from disputed sea area…