A ban on Norwegian female police officers wearing Islamic headscarves has been ruled illegal.
The Norwegian Equality Tribunal said the ban ran counter to the country’s freedom of religion and anti-discrimination laws by depriving a whole category of women from joining the police force.
The row began when a Muslim woman who had applied to become a police officer said she did not want to remove her hijab.
Last year Norway’s centre-left government at first approved a police decision to allow women officers to wear the headscarf but the move sparked outrage. Right-wing groups complained about the so-called “Islamisation” of the country.
The main police union has also voiced concerns saying the headscarf undermines the neutrality of the uniform.
The equality tribunal’s ruling is not legally binding.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Dramatic footage of road collapse as deadly rain storms hit Asia
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Yemen conflict: Hadi loyalists seize largest military base from Houthis
Pakistan hangs ‘teen’ convict despite protests from rights groups
ASEAN foreign ministers set to discuss South China Sea tensions
Wires > News
- 13:26 CET U.N. envoy to Yemen says warring parties increasingly open to…
- 13:24 CET China detains seven Christians opposed to cross demolition
- 13:23 CET Judge throws out fraud case against South African firebrand Malema
- 13:20 CET Southeast Asian nations back halt to land reclamation in South…
- 12:53 CET South Africa’s Tutu discharged from hospital after recurring…
- 12:42 CET Top German prosecutor accuses Berlin of interfering in treason…
- 12:42 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 12:40 CET Insight – The ‘Jungle’ migrants of Calais: a day in the life