Now Reading:

Moroccans suspend Spanish enclave protest

world news

Moroccans suspend Spanish enclave protest


Moroccan demonstrators have suspended a blockade of Spain’s north African enclave in Melilla until the end of Ramadan.

They had been preventing goods entering the territory in protest at alleged abuses by Spanish police against Moroccans.

Agreement was reached between protesters and traders after the enclave faced a shortage of fish, fruit and vegetables.

“It’s an opportunity for the police authorities in Melilla to solve what they have to solve,” said Mounaim Chaouki, president of the National Committee for the Liberation of Ceuta and Melilla.

Rabat has always viewed the two Spanish enclaves in northern Morocco as ‘occupied towns’.

Tuesday night’s protest was the second time in a week that supplies were blocked, after Morocco accused Spanish police of violence and racism at the border.

It has created the worst diplomatic dispute between the two countries in almost a decade. In Madrid it has led to a political row between government and opposition.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article