Orthodox Christians have held their first mass at an ancient monastery in Turkey for almost eight decades after the government loosened restrictions on religious expression.
Worshippers flocked from Russia, Greece and other countries to the service led by Patriach Barthlomew, their spirtual leader.
The Sumela monastery is built into the side of a mountain in Trabzon, a city on Turkey’s Black Sea coast
They used to be some 300,000 Greeks living there.
But after a 1923 treaty which defined the borders of Greece and Turkey, the Greeks left the region and the Sumela monastery was abandoned.
The mass was to mark the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, who the faithful believe was taken up to heaven on August 15 after her death.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 17:31 CET French far-right leader Marine Le Pen in Moscow amid Ukraine…
- 17:21 CET India’s Modi urges farmers to boost output, skirts issue of rural…
- 17:18 CET France’s Sarkozy, on comeback trail, wins right to rename party
- 17:12 CET Nigeria fuel distribution resumes but disruption persists
- 17:10 CET Syria says carries out deadly air raid on Islamic State stronghold
- 17:04 CET Charities unsure Modi’s first year brought ‘good days’ for India
- 16:58 CET Exclusive – Captured video appears to show foreign fighters in…
- 16:34 CET No Iran sanctions relief before end 2015 at best – German envoy