Founded 16 years ago as an act of resistance to the Bosnian war, the Sarajevo Film Festival now has glitz, glamour and guests like Morgan Freeman.
It also has prizes to hand out and the 2010 winners have just been announced.
The coveted Heart of Sarajevo award for Best Feature Film went to Serbian drama ‘Tilva Ros’, directed by Nikola Lezaic.
It tells the story of two teenagers who spend their time skateboarding in a struggling mining town. When they both fall in love with the same girl, their friendship turns to rivalry.
Winning film-maker Lezaic is taking success in his stride.
“Actually, I am very confused,” he told euronews. “I never expected it at all, this kind of attention or any kind of award. We did this film not for awards but to have fun and do something we would like to see.”
‘Tilva Ros’ also won the Best Actor’s prize, for young amateur Marko Todorovic, one of the skateboarding leads.
Reporting from the ceremony, euronews reporter Wolfgang Spindler said: “In recent years, the Sarajevo Film Festival has certainly become one of the most important cinema events in the Balkans.”
Wires > News
- 03:52 CET Brazil’s top prosecutor charges former president – Estado
- 02:00 CET Singapore set to pick military helicopters as arms spending rises
- 01:31 CET Australia PM Turnbull confirms will call election for July 2
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system