Two Italian water bomber planes are to be loaned to Portugal as the authorities battle a number of forest fires, mainly in the north of the country.
The firefighting aircraft have been made available through the European Union’s solidarity mechanism.
Spain has already provided their Iberian neighbours with aircraft, but the Portuguese requested futher help to combat the blazes.
Michael Mann is a European Commission spokesperson: “Portugal requested heavy aerial means to combat forest fires yesterday, they requested two water bomber planes. The request immediately triggered several offers of assistance by Italy, Greece and France.”
Raging wildfires are a feature of the Portuguese summer, and the solidarity mechanism has been set up to help EU member states in times of trouble.
France says it will base two aircraft on Corsica to assist Portugal if the country is hit with any further emergencies.
- 1Migrant crisis dominates Merkel and Hollande’s historic EU parliament address
- 2Britain’s anti-EU leader Farage slams Merkel-Hollande parliament address
- 3Discrimination on the rise in Europe
- 4Migrant crisis: EU ministers agree to step up deportations and beef up borders
- 5Brussels refugee camp cleared
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 9Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
latest europe news
Migrant crisis: EU ministers agree to step up deportations and beef up borders
Britain’s anti-EU leader Farage slams Merkel-Hollande parliament address
Migrant crisis dominates Merkel and Hollande’s historic EU parliament address
Spain’s King focuses on unity during first European Parliament address
EU’s highest court torpedoes US data deal over privacy fears