Two Italian water bomber planes are to be loaned to Portugal as the authorities battle a number of forest fires, mainly in the north of the country.
The firefighting aircraft have been made available through the European Union’s solidarity mechanism.
Spain has already provided their Iberian neighbours with aircraft, but the Portuguese requested futher help to combat the blazes.
Michael Mann is a European Commission spokesperson: “Portugal requested heavy aerial means to combat forest fires yesterday, they requested two water bomber planes. The request immediately triggered several offers of assistance by Italy, Greece and France.”
Raging wildfires are a feature of the Portuguese summer, and the solidarity mechanism has been set up to help EU member states in times of trouble.
France says it will base two aircraft on Corsica to assist Portugal if the country is hit with any further emergencies.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news