Two Italian water bomber planes are to be loaned to Portugal as the authorities battle a number of forest fires, mainly in the north of the country.
The firefighting aircraft have been made available through the European Union’s solidarity mechanism.
Spain has already provided their Iberian neighbours with aircraft, but the Portuguese requested futher help to combat the blazes.
Michael Mann is a European Commission spokesperson: “Portugal requested heavy aerial means to combat forest fires yesterday, they requested two water bomber planes. The request immediately triggered several offers of assistance by Italy, Greece and France.”
Raging wildfires are a feature of the Portuguese summer, and the solidarity mechanism has been set up to help EU member states in times of trouble.
France says it will base two aircraft on Corsica to assist Portugal if the country is hit with any further emergencies.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news