Two Italian water bomber planes are to be loaned to Portugal as the authorities battle a number of forest fires, mainly in the north of the country.
The firefighting aircraft have been made available through the European Union’s solidarity mechanism.
Spain has already provided their Iberian neighbours with aircraft, but the Portuguese requested futher help to combat the blazes.
Michael Mann is a European Commission spokesperson: “Portugal requested heavy aerial means to combat forest fires yesterday, they requested two water bomber planes. The request immediately triggered several offers of assistance by Italy, Greece and France.”
Raging wildfires are a feature of the Portuguese summer, and the solidarity mechanism has been set up to help EU member states in times of trouble.
France says it will base two aircraft on Corsica to assist Portugal if the country is hit with any further emergencies.
- 1Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 2Belgian security officials hit back at French criticism
- 3EU backs French demands for better surveillance after Paris attacks
- 4ISIL threat is ‘a wake-up call for Europe’, says leading defence expert
- 5Brussels firms feel pinch amid terror alert
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary