Two Italian water bomber planes are to be loaned to Portugal as the authorities battle a number of forest fires, mainly in the north of the country.
The firefighting aircraft have been made available through the European Union’s solidarity mechanism.
Spain has already provided their Iberian neighbours with aircraft, but the Portuguese requested futher help to combat the blazes.
Michael Mann is a European Commission spokesperson: “Portugal requested heavy aerial means to combat forest fires yesterday, they requested two water bomber planes. The request immediately triggered several offers of assistance by Italy, Greece and France.”
Raging wildfires are a feature of the Portuguese summer, and the solidarity mechanism has been set up to help EU member states in times of trouble.
France says it will base two aircraft on Corsica to assist Portugal if the country is hit with any further emergencies.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video