Two Italian water bomber planes are to be loaned to Portugal as the authorities battle a number of forest fires, mainly in the north of the country.
The firefighting aircraft have been made available through the European Union’s solidarity mechanism.
Spain has already provided their Iberian neighbours with aircraft, but the Portuguese requested futher help to combat the blazes.
Michael Mann is a European Commission spokesperson: “Portugal requested heavy aerial means to combat forest fires yesterday, they requested two water bomber planes. The request immediately triggered several offers of assistance by Italy, Greece and France.”
Raging wildfires are a feature of the Portuguese summer, and the solidarity mechanism has been set up to help EU member states in times of trouble.
France says it will base two aircraft on Corsica to assist Portugal if the country is hit with any further emergencies.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
latest europe news
Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting
Greece under renewed pressure to help fix migrant crisis
Varoufakis’ new pan-Europe party aims to strengthen democracy
Migrant crisis: Turkey-EU ‘lack of trust’ slows action
EU piles pressure on Turkey to open border to Syrian refugees