A special Buddhist ceremony has been held at a notorious former Khmer Rouge prison in Phnom Penh, on the eve of a court verdict in the trial of the jail’s former head.
Hundreds of Cambodian survivors and relatives of those killed there gathered at the site in remembrance.
Thousands were tortured and executed at the S-21 detention centre during Pol Pot’s regime in the late 1970s.
The man known as Comrade Duch, the first of five Khmer Rouge figures to stand trial, is accused of crimes against humanity, torture and pre-meditated murder.
Chum Mey used his skills as an engineer to make himself indispensable to the jail and avoid being killed. “If the verdict is the maximum life imprisonment, I’ll be very happy and the survivors will be relieved,” he said.
During the trial Comrade Duch admitted supervising the torture and execution of thousands of prisoners at the S-21 jail. Later he converted to Christianity and became a lay pastor, but many Cambodians are sceptical of his apparent remorse.
S-21’s inmates were deemed the Khmer Rouge’s worst enemies. Only a handful including some children were found alive when Vietnamese forces invaded Cambodia in 1979.
The prison’s victims were the tip of the iceberg. Across the country 1.7 million people – a quarter of the population – perished through starvation, disease, torture and execution.
The verdict will be the first ruling of the special court, much criticised for its bureaucracy and slow progress.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Travel chaos as Ukraine suspends transport links with Crimea
- 2Hundreds still awaiting airlift on stricken Greek ferry
- 3Missing Air Asia passenger jet likely to be “at bottom of the sea”
- 4Hundreds still stranded on burning ferry off coast of Greece
- 5Greece: Evacuation of ferry with 466 people on board
- 1Man who shot Pope Jean Paul II returns to crime scene
- 2ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 3Travel chaos as Ukraine suspends transport links with Crimea
- 4Eurasian Economic Union Summit begins with a show of disunity
- 5Ukraine: Mass prisoner exchange following peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 4Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 5Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 6NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 8France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 9The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 10Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 11Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 14Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
- 17Europe’s sex slave shame: is enough being done to fight human trafficking? | euronews, on the frontline
- 18South Korea to step up cyber security over nuclear power plant hacks | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 13:52 CET Ukraine’s Poroshenko says to meet Putin, Merkel, Hollande on…
- 13:51 CET Taliban declare ‘defeat’ of U.S., allies in Afghanistan
- 13:41 CET Five dead, 22 people still to be rescued from blazing ferry
- 13:32 CET India passes executive order to make land deals easier -…
- 13:25 CET Thai PM vows to fight human trafficking in sex trade, fishing…
- 13:15 CET China’s Xi calls for tighter ideological control in universities
- 13:06 CET Greece heads to election after PM Samaras loses vote on president
- 13:04 CET Indonesia says missing AirAsia plane could be at ‘bottom of sea’