A company selling free-range chicken is poking fun at police in France. The slang term for a gendarme is ‘poulet’, the word for chicken in French.
Now poultry firm ‘Poulets de Loue’ has produced an eye-catching campaign featuring policemen with the slogan ‘a good chicken is a free chicken’. However, not everyone is seeing the funny side.
Nicolas Comte, a member of a trade union for police, said: “We, policemen are tired. We give everything on the streets and face numerous difficulties. At the same time, we are blamed for everything. Everyone points the finger at us. This is really the last straw.”
However, the company’s boss, Yves de la Fouchardière, says the advert is not meant to cause offence.
“I apologise to any police if they were shocked. It was not our intention. But I have also heard testimonies from lots of policemen who like the poster and even wanted me to send it to them,” he said.
Whilst there have been complaints from the country’s largest police union, it seems others are taking the campaign with a pinch of salt. A little bit of controversy might be a good thing for sales of the free-range birds.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US-Egypt relations return to ‘stronger base’ says John Kerry
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Wires > News
- 01:59 CET U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda
- 00:46 CET Nigeria’s army says rescued 178 captives of Boko Haram
- 22:44 CET Rouhani says nuclear deal a ‘third way’ for Iranian foreign policy
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority