French air traffic controllers are striking over EU plans to merge civil aviation authorities in six countries amid fears it could lead to job losses.
The action will last until early Thursday.
Brussels wants to combine French air traffic authorities with those in Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Belgium.
The walkout has grounded flights across France.
The European Commission hopes the so-called Single European Sky will improve security, boost capacity and cut the cost of air-traffic services.
But unions say that will put jobs at risk.
Members fear the changes will mean surrendering their civil servant status and generous perks, including an estimated 30 weeks holiday a year.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
North Korea plutonium production resumed – US intelligence chief
Trump and Sanders win New Hampshire Primary
US election: Expect the unexpected in the New Hampshire Primary
Syria: UN warns of siege and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Wires > News
- 03:05 CET Billionaire Trump, U.S. Senator Sanders win in New Hampshire
- 02:30 CET Magnitude 6.3 quake hits central Chile, no major damage seen
- 02:12 CET Report card on aboriginal Australians paints bleak picture
- 01:35 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 01:19 CET Forensic team finds remains in Mexico dump, but no sign of 43…
- 00:37 CET White House – disputes over South China Sea must not involve…
- 00:19 CET French plan advances to strip passports from those convicted of…
- 23:39 CET Iraq’s troubled finances slow efforts to rebuild Ramadi