A French city has been shaken by a night of unrest in which youths burned cars, attacked a tramway and shot at police.
Feelings were running high in Grenoble after an earlier shootout in which a local man, accused of robbing a casino, was shot dead as he fled police.
Rioters went on the rampage in protest at his killing, targeting officers in a working-class suburb of the city.
“We were subjected to shots from these youths opposite us, about 30 hooded individuals armed with pistols,” said regional police chief Brigitte Julien.
“And then later, at around 4 o’clock in the morning, we clearly saw an individual taking aim with a rifle and firing on us.”
Police returned fire. Incredibly, no one was injured in the night of violence but several arrests were made.
The riot brings to mind civil unrest that exploded in the suburbs surrounding France’s main cities in 2005.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 5Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
Wires > News
- 09:44 CET Cambodia revives Australia refugee deal with planned Nauru visit
- 09:20 CET Greece starts clearing makeshift migrant camp on border
- 09:17 CET Russia, Ukraine commit to Minsk accords in call with France…
- 08:44 CET French police break up refinery blockade amid anti-reform showdown
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade