A French city has been shaken by a night of unrest in which youths burned cars, attacked a tramway and shot at police.
Feelings were running high in Grenoble after an earlier shootout in which a local man, accused of robbing a casino, was shot dead as he fled police.
Rioters went on the rampage in protest at his killing, targeting officers in a working-class suburb of the city.
“We were subjected to shots from these youths opposite us, about 30 hooded individuals armed with pistols,” said regional police chief Brigitte Julien.
“And then later, at around 4 o’clock in the morning, we clearly saw an individual taking aim with a rifle and firing on us.”
Police returned fire. Incredibly, no one was injured in the night of violence but several arrests were made.
The riot brings to mind civil unrest that exploded in the suburbs surrounding France’s main cities in 2005.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Wires > News
- 20:05 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…