Air traffic controllers in Greece joined hospital workers and other public sector employees in striking against pension and labour reforms.
Passengers were stranded as the four-hour stoppage resulted in dozens of flights from Athens cancelled and many more rescheduled.
The unrest in Greece is hitting the tourist industry which accounts for nearly a fifth of the economy.
“The air traffic controllers are doing themselves and Greece a disservice,” said one English traveller. “This will not help their economy, tourists will not come, they will not spend money. I have been coming to Greece for 20 years, I spend nearly three months a year here. I will think again now.”
Unions called on half a million workers to demonstrate and hope a planned general strike in the autumn will galvanise people hit by a degree of protest fatigue.
Ilias Iliopoulos of the public sector Adedy union said: “We’re telling the government for the last time that we reject their bankrupt policies. As of tomorrow preparations will begin for the next battle of resistance against these decisions, and you’ll see in September the people will rise up and demonstrate.”
Last week the Greek parliament passed an overhaul of the pension system, curbing early retirement and raising the retirement age to 65.
The reforms are part of a government austerity package agreed in return for an international multi-billion euro bailout.
Latest world news
Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
South African court paves way for Zuma to face renewed corruption charges
13 feared dead after helicopter crash near Bergen, Norway
Angry protest outside Trump rally in California
‘A new game, a final’: UEFA’s Platini makes last appeal against six-year ban
Wires > News
- 15:32 CET 11 people found dead in Norway helicopter crash
- 15:27 CET Paris police arrest 27 after overnight violence
- 15:13 CET Fire breaks out on old Russian nuclear sub, now extinguished…
- 15:10 CET Finnish NATO membership would lead to crisis with Russia -…
- 14:57 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 strikes against Islamic State – …
- 14:55 CET Syria calls local truces; U.N. condemns ‘monstrous disregard’ for…
- 14:51 CET Biden gets papal blessing for his global war on cancer
- 14:34 CET Italy struggles to house migrants in third year of mass arrivals