Air traffic controllers in Greece joined hospital workers and other public sector employees in striking against pension and labour reforms.
Passengers were stranded as the four-hour stoppage resulted in dozens of flights from Athens cancelled and many more rescheduled.
The unrest in Greece is hitting the tourist industry which accounts for nearly a fifth of the economy.
“The air traffic controllers are doing themselves and Greece a disservice,” said one English traveller. “This will not help their economy, tourists will not come, they will not spend money. I have been coming to Greece for 20 years, I spend nearly three months a year here. I will think again now.”
Unions called on half a million workers to demonstrate and hope a planned general strike in the autumn will galvanise people hit by a degree of protest fatigue.
Ilias Iliopoulos of the public sector Adedy union said: “We’re telling the government for the last time that we reject their bankrupt policies. As of tomorrow preparations will begin for the next battle of resistance against these decisions, and you’ll see in September the people will rise up and demonstrate.”
Last week the Greek parliament passed an overhaul of the pension system, curbing early retirement and raising the retirement age to 65.
The reforms are part of a government austerity package agreed in return for an international multi-billion euro bailout.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 5Denmark bridge collapse blocks motorway
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 15:06 CET Philippines recovers eight paintings from Marcos family
- 14:48 CET EU calls for proper implementation of Ukraine agreement
- 14:28 CET China announces date for key Communist Party meeting
- 14:23 CET U.S. signs pact to keep troops in Afghanistan past 2014
- 13:58 CET China’s Confucius Institute regrets closure of University Of…
- 13:35 CET Syria raids show Saudi, UAE ambition to extend regional authority
- 13:18 CET Special Report – Wheat warfare: Islamic State uses grain to…
- 12:57 CET Hesitant Turkey seeks mandate for military action against Islamic…