Air traffic controllers in Greece joined hospital workers and other public sector employees in striking against pension and labour reforms.
Passengers were stranded as the four-hour stoppage resulted in dozens of flights from Athens cancelled and many more rescheduled.
The unrest in Greece is hitting the tourist industry which accounts for nearly a fifth of the economy.
“The air traffic controllers are doing themselves and Greece a disservice,” said one English traveller. “This will not help their economy, tourists will not come, they will not spend money. I have been coming to Greece for 20 years, I spend nearly three months a year here. I will think again now.”
Unions called on half a million workers to demonstrate and hope a planned general strike in the autumn will galvanise people hit by a degree of protest fatigue.
Ilias Iliopoulos of the public sector Adedy union said: “We’re telling the government for the last time that we reject their bankrupt policies. As of tomorrow preparations will begin for the next battle of resistance against these decisions, and you’ll see in September the people will rise up and demonstrate.”
Last week the Greek parliament passed an overhaul of the pension system, curbing early retirement and raising the retirement age to 65.
The reforms are part of a government austerity package agreed in return for an international multi-billion euro bailout.
- 1Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3Leaders gather to mark 100th anniversary of Armenia massacre
- 4Friendship and reconciliation replace conflict at Gallipoli centenary
- 5Mixed reaction from rights groups and NGOs to EU migrant plan
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 06:29 CET Thousands gather at Gallipoli to mark centenary of WW1 battle
- 05:36 CET United States seeks access to Philippine bases as part of Asia…
- 04:47 CET Amended China law curbs tobacco ads in land of smokers
- 02:49 CET Jailed opposition mayor may be granted home arrest in Venezuela
- 01:01 CET Israeli forces shoot and kill Palestinian armed with knives
- 00:36 CET U.N. chief urges Myanmar to address Muslims’ status ahead of vote
- 23:46 CET U.S. pro-Israel lobby opposes push to toughen Iran nuclear bill
- 23:13 CET No decision yet on Mistral, France’s Hollande says