A heatwave has cost the lives of hundreds of vodka-drinking Russians who are drowning when they go for a swim to cool off.
More than 1200 people have died since June including 233 last week alone.
The authorities were forced to issue stark warnings when 49 people died in one day including two children.
Six children drowned in the sea of Azov in southern Russia because the summer camp employees minding them were drunk.
Vadim Seryogin, of the Russian Emergency Ministry said: “Ninety-five per cent of the people who drowned died while bathing at beaches or in recreation areas. Many of them were intoxicated. The death of the children has mainly been caused by parental neglect.”
Temperatures look set to reach a record 37 degrees Celsius this weekend and the scorching heat has led to a state of emergency being declared in drought hit areas where crops have been ruined.
Roughly a fifth of Russia’s entire grain crop has perished over nine million hectares, an area the size of Portugal.
Described by officials as the worst drought in 130 years – it has parched the land and defence forces have had to abandon night exercises for fear of starting fires with their flares and tracer bullets.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
NATO backs Turkey in its fight against militants in Syria and Iraq
Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
Wires > News
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy
- 07:41 CET Bahrain identifies suspects in Tuesday’s bombings – report
- 07:35 CET Amari says Japan, U.S. need more bilateral trade talks
- 06:54 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State