A heatwave has cost the lives of hundreds of vodka-drinking Russians who are drowning when they go for a swim to cool off.
More than 1200 people have died since June including 233 last week alone.
The authorities were forced to issue stark warnings when 49 people died in one day including two children.
Six children drowned in the sea of Azov in southern Russia because the summer camp employees minding them were drunk.
Vadim Seryogin, of the Russian Emergency Ministry said: “Ninety-five per cent of the people who drowned died while bathing at beaches or in recreation areas. Many of them were intoxicated. The death of the children has mainly been caused by parental neglect.”
Temperatures look set to reach a record 37 degrees Celsius this weekend and the scorching heat has led to a state of emergency being declared in drought hit areas where crops have been ruined.
Roughly a fifth of Russia’s entire grain crop has perished over nine million hectares, an area the size of Portugal.
Described by officials as the worst drought in 130 years – it has parched the land and defence forces have had to abandon night exercises for fear of starting fires with their flares and tracer bullets.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Wires > News
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:51 CET Rescuers dig for trapped residents after Nairobi building collapse…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…