A heatwave has cost the lives of hundreds of vodka-drinking Russians who are drowning when they go for a swim to cool off.
More than 1200 people have died since June including 233 last week alone.
The authorities were forced to issue stark warnings when 49 people died in one day including two children.
Six children drowned in the sea of Azov in southern Russia because the summer camp employees minding them were drunk.
Vadim Seryogin, of the Russian Emergency Ministry said: “Ninety-five per cent of the people who drowned died while bathing at beaches or in recreation areas. Many of them were intoxicated. The death of the children has mainly been caused by parental neglect.”
Temperatures look set to reach a record 37 degrees Celsius this weekend and the scorching heat has led to a state of emergency being declared in drought hit areas where crops have been ruined.
Roughly a fifth of Russia’s entire grain crop has perished over nine million hectares, an area the size of Portugal.
Described by officials as the worst drought in 130 years – it has parched the land and defence forces have had to abandon night exercises for fear of starting fires with their flares and tracer bullets.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 4Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 5Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Pope disgusted by ‘barbarous attacks’ in God’s name
Southern Australia burns as fatal bushfires destroy wildlife and livestock
Brazil’s Petrobras scandal claims two more scalps – a billionaire and a politician
UN launches programme to combat violence against women
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET U.N. envoy says Russia-North Korea deportation pact puts refugees…
- 11:18 CET China military in talks for logistics ‘facilities’ in Djibouti
- 11:17 CET German lawmakers to discuss support for France in IS fight
- 11:16 CET German lawmakers to discuss support for France in IS fight
- 11:10 CET Saudi Arabia imposes sanctions on 12 Hezbollah leaders for…
- 11:08 CET Bangladesh says kills military chief of banned Islamist group
- 11:08 CET Russia to help Cambodia build capacity for nuclear power
- 11:05 CET Dutch court rules that migrants’ right to food, shelter not…