Now Reading:

Mass funeral for Srebenica victims on anniversary

world news

Mass funeral for Srebenica victims on anniversary


Sunday marks the culmination of a three-day march to commemorate people killed in the Srebenica massacre. On the 15 year anniversary of the slaughter, thousands have joined the walk to remember those who died.

In what will be the biggest funeral in modern history, 775 coffins have been brought to the Srebenica-Portocari Memorial and Cemetary for a mass service.

Edin Music, who joined the march, said:
“I just want to relive what the poor people of Srebenica went through, and think this is a lesson for all future generations in Bosnia-Hercegovina.”

Every year, more and more bodies are found in mass graves. Hatidza Mehmedovic lost two sons, two brothers and her husband:
“We don’t ask for much. All we want is justice. Only justice can lead to true reconciliation and true coexistence.”

The killings happened when Serb forces overwhelmed the town, during the Bosnian-Serb war. At the time, it had been declared a UN safe zone, and many Bosnians had fled there. Though the commemoration will be attended by international representatives, no Serbian authorities will be present.

See our special edition

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article