Muscovites are searching for any way possible to cool down, as their city swelters in the grip of a heatwave.
The mercury has topped 30 degrees Celsius for most of the week. Friday’s temperature was a record 33.1 degrees.
Russian weather forecasters say, not since 1981, has it been this hot for this long in June.
And it’s not just the people who are struggling in the scorching conditions. One driver said if he doesn’t prop open the hood of his car, the engine overheats and it breaks down.
City Hall is sending out trucks to water the streets. The heat is melting the tarmac in some places and people’s shoes are getting stuck.
There is some relief expected by late Sunday night.
An approaching weather front should bring rain showers and cooler conditions to the sizzling Russian capital.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
Wires > News
- 21:54 CET West, Ukraine, hail rebel decision to postpone disputed elections
- 21:52 CET Somali militants vow to welcome British peacekeepers ‘with fire’
- 21:38 CET Portugal president asks PM Passos Coelho to form new government
- 21:30 CET Santander evacuates Madrid office after likely ‘white powder’ hoax
- 20:48 CET Maldives boat blast was attempt on president’s life – minister
- 20:31 CET Ex-U.N. General Assembly president, five others charged in U.S. in…
- 20:25 CET Congo ruling party officials behind demo attack – rights body HRW
- 20:24 CET Islamic State kills 22 in attacks on Yemen government, Gulf…