With deadly violence gripping Kyrgyzstan, its interim government has been quick to place the blame at the door of ousted president Kurmanbek Bakiyev.
The country’s deputy interior minister, Almazbek Otumbayev, said: ‘‘From now on we’re expecting provocation of this kind in the regions of Tchiousk and Bishkek and we are prepared.’‘
The former leader has denied the accusations and yesterday called for troops from ex-soviet states to be sent into Kyrgyzstan to quell the ethnic conflict.
‘‘We are facing serious problems with security. I said when Bishkek was burning that it was necessary to send in CSTO troops,’‘ Kurmankek Bakiyev said
The latest war of words also came as one of Bakiyev’s sons was arrested in Britain on corruption charges.
Many in Bishkek welcomed the news.
‘‘I think it is right that Maxime Bakiyev has been arrested and that he is sent back to answer for his actions,’‘ one woman said.
Much of the anger that resulted in April’s lethal unrest stemmed from allegations of corruption, in particular, that the ousted president’s family grew rich and powerful under his rule.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 08:11 CET Indonesian official rejects Australian death row prisoner swap…
- 08:07 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for Singapore train graffiti
- 08:06 CET Kidnapped Iranian diplomat held in Yemen since 2013 freed – Iran…
- 07:38 CET U.S. Syria strategy falters with collapse of rebel group
- 07:15 CET Hillary Clinton’s focus on women’s pay may resonate broadly – poll
- 07:12 CET Embattled Hillary Clinton urges U.S. State Department to release…
- 07:11 CET Syria opposition turns to internal opponents
- 07:02 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…