With deadly violence gripping Kyrgyzstan, its interim government has been quick to place the blame at the door of ousted president Kurmanbek Bakiyev.
The country’s deputy interior minister, Almazbek Otumbayev, said: ‘‘From now on we’re expecting provocation of this kind in the regions of Tchiousk and Bishkek and we are prepared.’‘
The former leader has denied the accusations and yesterday called for troops from ex-soviet states to be sent into Kyrgyzstan to quell the ethnic conflict.
‘‘We are facing serious problems with security. I said when Bishkek was burning that it was necessary to send in CSTO troops,’‘ Kurmankek Bakiyev said
The latest war of words also came as one of Bakiyev’s sons was arrested in Britain on corruption charges.
Many in Bishkek welcomed the news.
‘‘I think it is right that Maxime Bakiyev has been arrested and that he is sent back to answer for his actions,’‘ one woman said.
Much of the anger that resulted in April’s lethal unrest stemmed from allegations of corruption, in particular, that the ousted president’s family grew rich and powerful under his rule.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 4Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
Pope Francis arrives in Uganda
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
Tour operator threatens to jump from Colosseum in Rome
Wires > News
- 23:11 CET Sweden suspends flights to northern Iraq over security concerns
- 22:33 CET Insight – Voice of Paris attacks; Did he have bigger role?
- 21:53 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’
- 21:51 CET Pope holds private meeting with president of warring South Sudan
- 21:08 CET U.N. chief condemns deadly attack in disputed Abyei region
- 21:06 CET Saudis failed to investigate air strikes on Yemen civilians -…
- 19:58 CET Lebanon PM urges presidential vote after new push to find candidate
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…