The Czech Republic is heading for a new centre-right coalition favouring tough austerity measures, following the country’s general election.
The leader of the main leftist party has conceded that the vote was “certainly not a success” and that it was clear his opponents were going to form a government.
With 99% of votes counted, the left wing Social Democrats have the most support (22.2%). It was thought they might share power with the Communists (12.16%).
But the pro-business Civic Democrats are not far behind the Social Democrats, in second place with just over 20%. With their two potential allies, the Conservatives (16.6%) and Public Affairs (10.9%), they could form a narrow majority in parliament – bringing to an end several years of political deadlock.
Now it seems the Czech Republic, under a Civic Democrat-led coalition, could sample a bout of belt tightening to avoid a Greek-style economic crisis.
“If these results are confirmed, it would give a great chance to create a coalition of fiscal responsibility – a coalition that this country needs in these uneasy times and one we’re ready to create,” said Civic Democrat leader Petr Necas.
The Social Democrats had pledged to raise taxes on businesses and the rich to increase welfare benefits. But they accepted they had lost.
“It seems the people chose the direction in which our country should go, and it’s a different direction from the one the Social Democrats offered,” said the party leader Jiri Paroubek.
The Czech Republic has had an interim administration since the old centre-right government fell during the country’s EU presidency over a year ago. The polls had suggested another political logjam was likely, but this election seems to have given the right another chance.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Israeli forces kill knife-wielding Palestinian youth – police
- 16:16 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…
- 15:51 CET Moscow to investigate amid struggle over Chechen authority
- 15:40 CET Tribunal tells Ghana to stop oil work in Ivory Coast dispute
- 15:24 CET Insurgents seize Syrian strategic town of Jisr al-Shughour, army…
- 15:23 CET Thousands gather at dawn ceremony to mark Gallipoli centenary
- 15:17 CET Three Islamic State car bombs hit Iraq-Jordan border crossing…
- 15:04 CET French convict not in next round of Indonesia executions – embassy…