Bucharest has held its sixth gay pride attracting about 350 people who came to party and to protest against homophobia. Romania decriminalised homosexuality several years ago but the question remains largely taboo.
11 countries’ embassies publicly backed the latest edition of the GayFest – the British ambassador addressed the crowd – but hardly any Romanian politicians took part.
Many in the country share the Orthodox Christian Church’s anti-gay stance.
“I’m a pensioner and I witnessed much worse times in the past than now,” said one man dressed in drag. “I hope we’ll manage all this.”
A young woman said: “This marginalised and discriminated community must show that it exists, and people slowly have to accept it.”
Security was tight; previous events have seen anti-gay demonstrations and clashes between the two groups.
This year about 150 far right demonstrators rallied in the city centre protesting against homosexuality.
Gay prides have encountered several problems in eastern European countries. Last week a small demonstration in Belarus was broken up by police. In Serbia a march was cancelled last year in the face of violent threats.
Latest world news
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido freed after kidnap ordeal
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Iraq army ‘begins assault’ on ISIL bastion of Falluja
Wires > News
- 12:11 CET Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey – security…
- 12:09 CET Philippine Congress proclaims Duterte winner of presidential…
- 11:56 CET China’s anti-graft agency investigates Jiangsu province deputy…
- 11:49 CET Turkish government says wants presidency bill in parliament soon
- 11:46 CET Turkey, Israel still discussing normalisation – Turkish deputy PM
- 11:44 CET Bahrain lengthens Shi’ite leader’s jail term to 9 years -…
- 11:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants – newspaper
- 11:38 CET Poland’s Kaczynski says may challenge EU rule of law procedure in…