Bucharest has held its sixth gay pride attracting about 350 people who came to party and to protest against homophobia. Romania decriminalised homosexuality several years ago but the question remains largely taboo.
11 countries’ embassies publicly backed the latest edition of the GayFest – the British ambassador addressed the crowd – but hardly any Romanian politicians took part.
Many in the country share the Orthodox Christian Church’s anti-gay stance.
“I’m a pensioner and I witnessed much worse times in the past than now,” said one man dressed in drag. “I hope we’ll manage all this.”
A young woman said: “This marginalised and discriminated community must show that it exists, and people slowly have to accept it.”
Security was tight; previous events have seen anti-gay demonstrations and clashes between the two groups.
This year about 150 far right demonstrators rallied in the city centre protesting against homosexuality.
Gay prides have encountered several problems in eastern European countries. Last week a small demonstration in Belarus was broken up by police. In Serbia a march was cancelled last year in the face of violent threats.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 11:46 CET Pope, on Palm Sunday, pays tribute to ‘today’s martyrs’
- 11:45 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…
- 06:50 CET Insight – Modi’s popularity in rural India punctured by…
- 04:29 CET Brazil minister Levy privately criticized Rousseff – report