Bucharest has held its sixth gay pride attracting about 350 people who came to party and to protest against homophobia. Romania decriminalised homosexuality several years ago but the question remains largely taboo.
11 countries’ embassies publicly backed the latest edition of the GayFest – the British ambassador addressed the crowd – but hardly any Romanian politicians took part.
Many in the country share the Orthodox Christian Church’s anti-gay stance.
“I’m a pensioner and I witnessed much worse times in the past than now,” said one man dressed in drag. “I hope we’ll manage all this.”
A young woman said: “This marginalised and discriminated community must show that it exists, and people slowly have to accept it.”
Security was tight; previous events have seen anti-gay demonstrations and clashes between the two groups.
This year about 150 far right demonstrators rallied in the city centre protesting against homosexuality.
Gay prides have encountered several problems in eastern European countries. Last week a small demonstration in Belarus was broken up by police. In Serbia a march was cancelled last year in the face of violent threats.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Turkish military campaign aims to prevent Kurdish unity in Syria -…
- 13:42 CET Shelling in eastern Ukraine kills four civilians, soldier
- 13:18 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 13:17 CET Nigeria, Cameroon vow closer cooperation against Boko Haram
- 13:14 CET Germany’s Schaeuble wants to rebalance EU Commission’s role
- 12:59 CET Political prisoners, Chinese loggers among thousands freed in…
- 12:51 CET Chinese university says professor accused of spying freed on bail…
- 12:24 CET Drone kills four suspected militants in Yemen – residents