Bucharest has held its sixth gay pride attracting about 350 people who came to party and to protest against homophobia. Romania decriminalised homosexuality several years ago but the question remains largely taboo.
11 countries’ embassies publicly backed the latest edition of the GayFest – the British ambassador addressed the crowd – but hardly any Romanian politicians took part.
Many in the country share the Orthodox Christian Church’s anti-gay stance.
“I’m a pensioner and I witnessed much worse times in the past than now,” said one man dressed in drag. “I hope we’ll manage all this.”
A young woman said: “This marginalised and discriminated community must show that it exists, and people slowly have to accept it.”
Security was tight; previous events have seen anti-gay demonstrations and clashes between the two groups.
This year about 150 far right demonstrators rallied in the city centre protesting against homosexuality.
Gay prides have encountered several problems in eastern European countries. Last week a small demonstration in Belarus was broken up by police. In Serbia a march was cancelled last year in the face of violent threats.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4The recovery of bodies goes on after Donetsk mine blast
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 20Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
Wires > News
- 20:08 CET CIA to make sweeping changes, focus more on cyber ops -agency chief
- 19:51 CET Libyan forces say they retake oilfields after attack
- 19:49 CET U.N. council threatens action if chlorine used in attacks in Syria
- 19:20 CET U.N. chief worried by planned Palestinian security cut with Israel
- 18:44 CET Ireland begins to fret over ‘Brexit’ as UK election nears
- 18:41 CET Putin ally says society should resist gay activism
- 18:38 CET Iran nuclear commitments do not go far enough – France
- 18:11 CET Gunman’s video says Parliament attack spurred by Canada military…