The Cannes film festival has screened a controversial film about the bloody fight for Algerian independence, amid protests that it tarnishes the French army and distorts history.
“Hors la Loi” – “Outside the Law” – deals with an issue that is still highly sensitive fifty years later.
The film charts the lives of three Algerian brothers evicted from their ancestral home to make way for a European settler. It also shows atrocities by French troops.
Security was tight in Cannes, with riot police lining up outside the Palais des Festivals.
Among more than a thousand demonstrators were
French war veterans, former settlers, and Algerians who fought for France.
Several right-wing MPs also turned out to highlight French victims.
One former “harki” fighter said:
“The film’s a disgrace for France and also for war veterans. I’d say that if they wanted to make this film they should have done so at home but not in France.”
Outside the Law’s director Rachid Bouchareb said he recognised that the colonial past between France and Algeria was still tense – but this was only cinema.
“I make movies,” he said. “Now that historians, the public and politicians… all those people want to solve this problem, well let them do so. But let’s turn the page calmly and for good.”
Outside the Law follows on from Bouchareb’s film “Days of Glory” four years ago – the story of North African soldiers who fought for France in World War 2.
The director says the adverse reactions have been excessive.
But it has already proved that the scars from the French-Algerian conflict are still visible.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 4Ukraine: Full ceasefire maintained in some areas, Kyiv reports
- 5Right-wing Northern League holds rally in centre of Rome
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:32 CET Activist monk seeks Buddhism overhaul in Thailand over corruption…
- 07:09 CET U.S.-Israel ties fraying over Netanyahu speech, Iran talks
- 00:26 CET Netanyahu takes Iran campaign to Jerusalem holy site
- 23:23 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 22:45 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen heighten security citing possible…
- 20:11 CET Lorry kills protester at roadblock in southern Brazil
- 20:10 CET Kurdish rebel leader in Turkey calls for disarmament congress
- 18:51 CET Women protest on last day of Rio IOC meetings