The Cannes film festival has screened a controversial film about the bloody fight for Algerian independence, amid protests that it tarnishes the French army and distorts history.
“Hors la Loi” – “Outside the Law” – deals with an issue that is still highly sensitive fifty years later.
The film charts the lives of three Algerian brothers evicted from their ancestral home to make way for a European settler. It also shows atrocities by French troops.
Security was tight in Cannes, with riot police lining up outside the Palais des Festivals.
Among more than a thousand demonstrators were
French war veterans, former settlers, and Algerians who fought for France.
Several right-wing MPs also turned out to highlight French victims.
One former “harki” fighter said:
“The film’s a disgrace for France and also for war veterans. I’d say that if they wanted to make this film they should have done so at home but not in France.”
Outside the Law’s director Rachid Bouchareb said he recognised that the colonial past between France and Algeria was still tense – but this was only cinema.
“I make movies,” he said. “Now that historians, the public and politicians… all those people want to solve this problem, well let them do so. But let’s turn the page calmly and for good.”
Outside the Law follows on from Bouchareb’s film “Days of Glory” four years ago – the story of North African soldiers who fought for France in World War 2.
The director says the adverse reactions have been excessive.
But it has already proved that the scars from the French-Algerian conflict are still visible.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:55 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 20:22 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession