Turkey’s made Greek Cyprus an offer in a bid to break the deadlock over the divided island’s status and continuing trade embargoes.
Ankara says it is ready to open all its ports to Greek Cypriots if two Turkish Cypriot ports and an airport are opened to international trade in return.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made the offer following a meeting of the Committee on Political Affairs of the Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly in Istanbul.
Under the terms of the proposal, Turkey wants Girne, Magosa and also the Ercan airport to be open to Mediterreanean traffic and trade.
Cyprus was ethnically split in a Turkish invasion in 1974 triggered by a brief coup inspired by the military then ruling Greece.
Cyprus joined the EU as a divided island when Greek Cypriots rejected the UN reunification plan in twin referendums in 2004 even though the Turkish Cypriots in the north overwheminlgy supported it.
The two sides have since been trying to re-link the island as a federation.
Fresh negotiations due to resume next week after a two-month interruption for Turkish Cypriot elections which produced a nationalist victory.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 5How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
France’s flag reminds shaken country what it stands for
Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
Paris terror attack victims honoured at national memorial service
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
Wires > News
- 17:38 CET Suicide bomber hits Shi’ite procession in Nigeria’s Kano state
- 17:27 CET France can only work with Syrian army as part of a power…
- 16:50 CET Britain sends mixed messages on climate ahead of Paris talks
- 16:34 CET Britain finds allies as it calls for EU targets on cutting red tape
- 16:18 CET Israel to open representative office in Abu Dhabi, first in UAE
- 16:17 CET Pirates attack Polish ship off Nigerian coast, kidnap five
- 16:10 CET Germans to give more to charity, spend less on Christmas presents
- 16:03 CET Even in Chavez’s hometown, Venezuela ‘revolution’ ails before…