Turkey’s made Greek Cyprus an offer in a bid to break the deadlock over the divided island’s status and continuing trade embargoes.
Ankara says it is ready to open all its ports to Greek Cypriots if two Turkish Cypriot ports and an airport are opened to international trade in return.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made the offer following a meeting of the Committee on Political Affairs of the Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly in Istanbul.
Under the terms of the proposal, Turkey wants Girne, Magosa and also the Ercan airport to be open to Mediterreanean traffic and trade.
Cyprus was ethnically split in a Turkish invasion in 1974 triggered by a brief coup inspired by the military then ruling Greece.
Cyprus joined the EU as a divided island when Greek Cypriots rejected the UN reunification plan in twin referendums in 2004 even though the Turkish Cypriots in the north overwheminlgy supported it.
The two sides have since been trying to re-link the island as a federation.
Fresh negotiations due to resume next week after a two-month interruption for Turkish Cypriot elections which produced a nationalist victory.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:24 CET Juncker defends decision on French, British EU commissioners
- 23:17 CET Iraqi Kurds approve sending fighters to aid Syrian town
- 23:07 CET U.S. jury convicts ex-Blackwater guards in 2007 Baghdad killings
- 22:31 CET Canada’s parliament attacked near where PM Harper was speaking
- 22:08 CET Saudi Arabia jails al Qaeda suspects over plot to hit U.S. forces
- 21:47 CET At least three drugs smugglers killed in attack along Egypt border…
- 21:31 CET Fowle back at Ohio home after half-year detention in North Korea
- 21:17 CET Baby killed when Palestinian drives into Jerusalem train stop -…