Turkey’s made Greek Cyprus an offer in a bid to break the deadlock over the divided island’s status and continuing trade embargoes.
Ankara says it is ready to open all its ports to Greek Cypriots if two Turkish Cypriot ports and an airport are opened to international trade in return.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made the offer following a meeting of the Committee on Political Affairs of the Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly in Istanbul.
Under the terms of the proposal, Turkey wants Girne, Magosa and also the Ercan airport to be open to Mediterreanean traffic and trade.
Cyprus was ethnically split in a Turkish invasion in 1974 triggered by a brief coup inspired by the military then ruling Greece.
Cyprus joined the EU as a divided island when Greek Cypriots rejected the UN reunification plan in twin referendums in 2004 even though the Turkish Cypriots in the north overwheminlgy supported it.
The two sides have since been trying to re-link the island as a federation.
Fresh negotiations due to resume next week after a two-month interruption for Turkish Cypriot elections which produced a nationalist victory.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 4ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 5Revenge motive probed after two policeman killed in New York
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:46 CET Iraqi Kurds, Yazidis fight Islamic State for strategic town of…
- 22:44 CET Essebsi declares win in Tunisia election, rival contests
- 22:18 CET Analysis – Young Cuban-American groups emerge as Obama allies
- 21:11 CET Jordan hangs 11 after eight-year death penalty freeze
- 21:10 CET South Africa’s Zuma says in ‘perfect’ health after post-election…
- 20:37 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 18:54 CET Obama says Sony hack not an act of war
- 18:03 CET Libya’s official government targets rival forces trying to seize…