Turkey’s made Greek Cyprus an offer in a bid to break the deadlock over the divided island’s status and continuing trade embargoes.
Ankara says it is ready to open all its ports to Greek Cypriots if two Turkish Cypriot ports and an airport are opened to international trade in return.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made the offer following a meeting of the Committee on Political Affairs of the Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly in Istanbul.
Under the terms of the proposal, Turkey wants Girne, Magosa and also the Ercan airport to be open to Mediterreanean traffic and trade.
Cyprus was ethnically split in a Turkish invasion in 1974 triggered by a brief coup inspired by the military then ruling Greece.
Cyprus joined the EU as a divided island when Greek Cypriots rejected the UN reunification plan in twin referendums in 2004 even though the Turkish Cypriots in the north overwheminlgy supported it.
The two sides have since been trying to re-link the island as a federation.
Fresh negotiations due to resume next week after a two-month interruption for Turkish Cypriot elections which produced a nationalist victory.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 14:38 CET Confrontation as Hungary police force migrants off train
- 14:36 CET Two bombs rock Cameroon town previously attacked by Boko Haram
- 13:58 CET Congo militia chief tried to protect civilians, war crimes court…
- 13:26 CET Sri Lankan Tamil named opposition leader for first time since 1983
- 13:16 CET China, Vietnam agree to ‘properly handle’ disputes
- 13:13 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 12:49 CET At least 14 killed as boat overloaded with migrants capsizes off…
- 12:36 CET Bangladesh charges 13 over 2012 garment factory fire