Twenty one miners have died after a methane gas explosion in a mine shaft in China. Ten other workers managed to get safely to the surface at the site in Anshun in Guizhou province.
A similar accident last Saturday left 10 miners dead in Hubei province.
Despite some improvements in safety conditions in recent years, Chinese mines remain the most dangerous in the world with an average of seven deaths per day last year.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…