Twenty one miners have died after a methane gas explosion in a mine shaft in China. Ten other workers managed to get safely to the surface at the site in Anshun in Guizhou province.
A similar accident last Saturday left 10 miners dead in Hubei province.
Despite some improvements in safety conditions in recent years, Chinese mines remain the most dangerous in the world with an average of seven deaths per day last year.
Wires > News
- 09:28 CET Poland to appeal court decision not to extradite Polanski to U.S.
- 09:27 CET Two with Thai army links found guilty of attack on gold mine…
- 09:06 CET Japan erupts in anger over boy abandoned in forest after being…
- 09:00 CET Exclusive: Westinghouse to get new site for Indian nuclear plant -…
- 08:51 CET Spanish police arrest man accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 08:42 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23 – monitor
- 08:32 CET Hamas executes three convicted Palestinians in Gaza
- 08:24 CET Huge fire breaks out in Indian arms depot, 17 feared dead