Around a 1000 demonstrators have gathered outside Liberal Democrat headquarters to call for Nick Clegg not to back down on demands for the reform of Britain’s electoral system.
Singer Billy Bragg was among those putting pressure on Clegg to insist on the introduction of proportional representation as a condition for any coalition deal.
“We believe that this hung parliament is an opportunity to bring in genuine electoral reform so that the next election is done under a much fairer voting system. And the Liberal Democrats if they do a deal with the Tories they will not be able to deliver that electoral reform. So it’s very very important that they take this oportunity now to ensure that we get proportional representation in the next election. It’s not Britain that is broken, it’s our electoral system. That’s what we’ve seen in last 48 hours.”
The Conservatives, though, are strongly opposed to any change in the country’s constituency-based first past the post system, which has traditionally favoured Britain’s two major parties.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’