Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann has signed a landmark deal with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin for Austrian contractors to build part of Russia’s South Stream gas pipeline.
The agreement marks an important milestone in the race to provide Europe with a reliable gas supply.
Faymann insists the South Stream project presents no conflict of interest for Austria which is also involved in the construction of the EU’s rival project, the Nabucco pipeline. Baumgarten in Austria will serve as the storage centre – or the Central European Gas Hub – for both projects.
South Stream will see Russia’s Gazprom working in tandem with Austrian energy provider OMV and engineers from Italys’s ENI.
In an effort to ensure its gas energy market share in Europe, Russia has ordered the construction of two pipelines. North Stream which will terminate in Germany and South Stream – which is competing with the EU’s Nabucco project.
South Stream will deliver 63 billion cubic metres of gas per year, the construction costs are estimated at around at 10 billion euros and it is due to be completed in 2015.
Nabucco will deliver 31 billion cubic metres of gas per year, its construction costs are estimated at 7.9 billion euros and it is scheduled to start delivering gas in 2014.
The EU’s Nabucco project – which is backed by the US – is being built to “diversify” supplies and wean Europe off its dependence on Russian gas.
But one thing Vladimir Putin was keen to stress when he signed the deal with Chancellor Faymann is that contracts for South Stream are signed and sealed while, he said, the Nabucco project is still negotiating to get gas suppliers on board.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US-Egypt relations return to ‘stronger base’ says John Kerry
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Wires > News
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…