Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann has signed a landmark deal with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin for Austrian contractors to build part of Russia’s South Stream gas pipeline.
The agreement marks an important milestone in the race to provide Europe with a reliable gas supply.
Faymann insists the South Stream project presents no conflict of interest for Austria which is also involved in the construction of the EU’s rival project, the Nabucco pipeline. Baumgarten in Austria will serve as the storage centre – or the Central European Gas Hub – for both projects.
South Stream will see Russia’s Gazprom working in tandem with Austrian energy provider OMV and engineers from Italys’s ENI.
In an effort to ensure its gas energy market share in Europe, Russia has ordered the construction of two pipelines. North Stream which will terminate in Germany and South Stream – which is competing with the EU’s Nabucco project.
South Stream will deliver 63 billion cubic metres of gas per year, the construction costs are estimated at around at 10 billion euros and it is due to be completed in 2015.
Nabucco will deliver 31 billion cubic metres of gas per year, its construction costs are estimated at 7.9 billion euros and it is scheduled to start delivering gas in 2014.
The EU’s Nabucco project – which is backed by the US – is being built to “diversify” supplies and wean Europe off its dependence on Russian gas.
But one thing Vladimir Putin was keen to stress when he signed the deal with Chancellor Faymann is that contracts for South Stream are signed and sealed while, he said, the Nabucco project is still negotiating to get gas suppliers on board.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
Algeria enacts reforms and gives Berber language official status
Filmed bus stunt causes mini-panic in London
Former Foreign Legion commander arrested at anti-foreigner protest
‘The Revenant’ director Inarritu scoops DGA award, as Oscars near
Wires > News
- 22:38 CET Hollande, Merkel stress migrant crisis needs EU solution
- 20:50 CET Chilean alleges sex abuse cover-up, asks pope to sack bishop
- 20:23 CET Iran-backed militia warns against sending Arab forces to Syria…
- 19:41 CET U.N. rights chief meets families of Sri Lanka’s war victims
- 19:28 CET Carnival roars ahead in Brazil despite Zika health scare
- 18:47 CET Egyptian police shoot four suspected militants in raid near Cairo
- 18:31 CET Second member of Islamic State execution cell identified as Briton…
- 16:39 CET Fire on Mexico Pemex platform kills two workers, now under control