The body of the late president,
Lech Kaczynski, arrived in Warsaw on Sunday afternoon to a nation gripped by grief.
He died with at least 96 others when his presidential plane went down early Saturday in western Russia.
Thousands lined the streets to pay their respects to the former leader. Some threw flowers at the passing cortege, some wept and some even
The president’s wife, the chief of the army, and several senior lawmakers were among the victims.
Kaczynski’s body will now lie in state for several days. It arrived back from the crash at Warsaw’s main airport 1530 CET on Sunday.
Kacynski’s twin brother, Jaroslaw, and the president’s daughter greeted the coffin with tears and prayers.
Prime Minister Donald Tusk, a one-time rival to the late Kaczynski for the presidency, was also there.
Earlier, senior government figures lit candles for the victims.
As clocks across Poland struck midday, Poles at home and abroad came to a standstill before holding a two-minute silent tribute to those who lost their lives.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET Multi-national crew blasts off for space station
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner
- 21:37 CET No easy ‘plan B’ for Iran if nuclear talks with major powers…
- 21:01 CET Polish opposition says local poll result ‘dishonest’
- 20:12 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president of post-Ben Ali…
- 19:54 CET Iranian-British woman jailed over sport protest released on bail
- 19:48 CET Police in Tobago investigate murder of German couple on beach
- 17:47 CET Thai king meets PM, ministers easing health concerns