The body of the late president,
Lech Kaczynski, arrived in Warsaw on Sunday afternoon to a nation gripped by grief.
He died with at least 96 others when his presidential plane went down early Saturday in western Russia.
Thousands lined the streets to pay their respects to the former leader. Some threw flowers at the passing cortege, some wept and some even
The president’s wife, the chief of the army, and several senior lawmakers were among the victims.
Kaczynski’s body will now lie in state for several days. It arrived back from the crash at Warsaw’s main airport 1530 CET on Sunday.
Kacynski’s twin brother, Jaroslaw, and the president’s daughter greeted the coffin with tears and prayers.
Prime Minister Donald Tusk, a one-time rival to the late Kaczynski for the presidency, was also there.
Earlier, senior government figures lit candles for the victims.
As clocks across Poland struck midday, Poles at home and abroad came to a standstill before holding a two-minute silent tribute to those who lost their lives.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Tens of victims following rocket attack on hospital in government-held area of Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Wires > News
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget
- 11:09 CET Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots as part of EU deal -…
- 11:02 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after Kenya building collapse
- 10:40 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor