The body of the late president,
Lech Kaczynski, arrived in Warsaw on Sunday afternoon to a nation gripped by grief.
He died with at least 96 others when his presidential plane went down early Saturday in western Russia.
Thousands lined the streets to pay their respects to the former leader. Some threw flowers at the passing cortege, some wept and some even
The president’s wife, the chief of the army, and several senior lawmakers were among the victims.
Kaczynski’s body will now lie in state for several days. It arrived back from the crash at Warsaw’s main airport 1530 CET on Sunday.
Kacynski’s twin brother, Jaroslaw, and the president’s daughter greeted the coffin with tears and prayers.
Prime Minister Donald Tusk, a one-time rival to the late Kaczynski for the presidency, was also there.
Earlier, senior government figures lit candles for the victims.
As clocks across Poland struck midday, Poles at home and abroad came to a standstill before holding a two-minute silent tribute to those who lost their lives.
- 1Mixed messages from Europe’s leaders ahead of the Greek referendum
- 2Greek PM stands firm in run-up to referendum
- 3Egyptian army drives back Islamist fighters in Sinai
- 4Ukraine stops Russian gas imports after price talks collapse
- 5Ku Klux Klan set for Confederate flag rally as black church fires probed
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
Wires > News
- 10:03 CET Ferry sinks off Philippines, at least 36 dead
- 09:14 CET Bangladesh arrests 12 suspected al Qaeda militants
- 07:29 CET Indonesia to call off search for victims in deadly military plane…
- 07:17 CET ‘Wow, pulled back wrong throttle’ – captain of crashed TransAsia…
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…
- 00:50 CET Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration
- 00:18 CET More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- 23:55 CET Migrant trafficker jailed for 18 years for 2013 shipwreck off Italy