They are EU citizens, Europe’s twelve or more million Roma… in principle entitled to the same rights as all other EU citizens. Yet all the studies on Roma in the European Union agree that they live without full rights. A summit to tackle anti-Roma trends opens this Thursday in Cordoba, Spain.
A top European equality official recently said Roma were commonly considered as personally responsible for their condition. Yet concerted social and political attention to improve things raises the question who must act first: parties in a position of weakness or those in positions of strength?
The first EU study on discrimination against minorities in 2008 concluded no ethnic group suffered more than the Roma — concerning for example access to housing, education, healthcare, employment.
While the cultural contribution of the Romani and Sinti nomadic peoples has been recognised in Europe for centuries, now mostly settled, they remain on the margins of mainstream society.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass