They are EU citizens, Europe’s twelve or more million Roma… in principle entitled to the same rights as all other EU citizens. Yet all the studies on Roma in the European Union agree that they live without full rights. A summit to tackle anti-Roma trends opens this Thursday in Cordoba, Spain.
A top European equality official recently said Roma were commonly considered as personally responsible for their condition. Yet concerted social and political attention to improve things raises the question who must act first: parties in a position of weakness or those in positions of strength?
The first EU study on discrimination against minorities in 2008 concluded no ethnic group suffered more than the Roma — concerning for example access to housing, education, healthcare, employment.
While the cultural contribution of the Romani and Sinti nomadic peoples has been recognised in Europe for centuries, now mostly settled, they remain on the margins of mainstream society.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal