They are EU citizens, Europe’s twelve or more million Roma… in principle entitled to the same rights as all other EU citizens. Yet all the studies on Roma in the European Union agree that they live without full rights. A summit to tackle anti-Roma trends opens this Thursday in Cordoba, Spain.
A top European equality official recently said Roma were commonly considered as personally responsible for their condition. Yet concerted social and political attention to improve things raises the question who must act first: parties in a position of weakness or those in positions of strength?
The first EU study on discrimination against minorities in 2008 concluded no ethnic group suffered more than the Roma — concerning for example access to housing, education, healthcare, employment.
While the cultural contribution of the Romani and Sinti nomadic peoples has been recognised in Europe for centuries, now mostly settled, they remain on the margins of mainstream society.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 6NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 7Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 12Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 15Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 16Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 17Europe’s sex slave shame: is enough being done to fight human trafficking? | euronews, on the frontline
- 18Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
- 19euronews RADIO
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent