Now Reading:

Chechen rebels admit ordering Moscow blasts

world news

Chechen rebels admit ordering Moscow blasts


Russia has started to bury its dead following the suicide attacks on Moscow’s metro system. Shortly after the first funerals of the 39 victims killed in Monday’s attacks were held, Chechen rebels admitted to carrying out the blasts.

In a video message posted on an Islamist website, Chechnya’s rebel leader Doku Umarov said he ordered the suicide strikes in the Russian capital. He had earlier denied any responsiblity but has now warned Russians to expect more of the same.

While the hunt for those behind the bombings continues, Russian investigators have said two female suicide bombers carried out the atrocity.

The Kremlin has vowed to catch those responsible. Earlier, President Dmitry Medvedev said he would not allow the terrorists to destabilise Russia.

‘‘These are the links of the same chain and expressions of the same terrorist activity, which has arisen lately.” he said. “We are fighting against it and will continue to fight against it. We will support all the victims and families of the dead.’‘

The Russian president was also speaking after news of another twin suicide bombing in Dagestan in the Caucasus. At least 12 people died in that attack, including a police chief, when the blasts ripped through the town of Kizlyar in the north of the country.

The first attack came in the form of a car bomb exploding outside the local interior ministry and FSB security agency at about 8:30am local time on Wednesday morning. Some 20 minutes later, another bomber, reportedly dressed in police uniform, blew himself up next to the gathering crowd.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article