A Paris appeals court has upheld a ruling against energy giant Total for a disastrous oil spill off the western coast of France 11 years ago.
The French firm was disputing a guilty verdict that found it responsible for the sinking of the ship Erika in 1999. The ageing tanker it had chartered broke apart in a storm off Brittany.
A massive 20,000 tonnes of oil gushed out covering an estimated 400 kilometres of coastline..
Only two years ago Total was ordered to pay nearly 200 million euros in compensation. But it appealed, arguing that it was failings by the Italian ship’s owners that allowed the Erika to be given a clean bill off health.
The cost to Brittany’s eco-system was huge. Thousands of birds and marine animals perished.
The decision is expected to have important legal implications for the global oil industry and its responsibility to the environment.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…