The Pope appears to have alluded to the sex abuse scandal engulfing the church, indicating he will not be intimidated by what he calls “petty gossip”.
During a Palm Sunday service in St Peter’s Square, the pontiff did not directly mention the scandal.
But he said “man can choose an easy road pushing aside all efforts, and can even fall to what he calls the lowest, vulgar levels and sink into the swamp of sin and dishonesty”.
But he went on: “Jesus encourages us towards that which is pure and great, towards a life of truth, towards the courage of not allowing oneself to be intimidated by the petty gossip of dominant opinion.”
The Vatican and the Pope himself are facing growing criticism over the cover-up of sex abuse scandals. But people had supportive words for him in St Peter’s Square.
“I’m in total agreement with what the pope has been saying so far,” said one woman. “We came here to be encouraged in our faith. We’re not interested in all the rest.”
A woman from the US said: I think he is doing a wonderful job. I think it’s tragic what has happened around the world, but I think he has dealt with the situation very well.”
The Vatican is on the offensive, attacking the media for what it calls an ignoble attempt to smear the Pope.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Wires > News
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…