The Pope appears to have alluded to the sex abuse scandal engulfing the church, indicating he will not be intimidated by what he calls “petty gossip”.
During a Palm Sunday service in St Peter’s Square, the pontiff did not directly mention the scandal.
But he said “man can choose an easy road pushing aside all efforts, and can even fall to what he calls the lowest, vulgar levels and sink into the swamp of sin and dishonesty”.
But he went on: “Jesus encourages us towards that which is pure and great, towards a life of truth, towards the courage of not allowing oneself to be intimidated by the petty gossip of dominant opinion.”
The Vatican and the Pope himself are facing growing criticism over the cover-up of sex abuse scandals. But people had supportive words for him in St Peter’s Square.
“I’m in total agreement with what the pope has been saying so far,” said one woman. “We came here to be encouraged in our faith. We’re not interested in all the rest.”
A woman from the US said: I think he is doing a wonderful job. I think it’s tragic what has happened around the world, but I think he has dealt with the situation very well.”
The Vatican is on the offensive, attacking the media for what it calls an ignoble attempt to smear the Pope.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack