Demonstrators protesting at Israel’s Easter blockade on the West Bank territories have clashed with guards at a checkpoint on the route from Bethlehem to Jerusalem.
The marchers included Muslim and Christian worshippers, as well as secular protesters.
They said they wished to attend churches in Jerusalem to celebrate Palm Sunday but were turned away by Israeli security forces.
Benjamin Netanyahu’s government announced on Sunday that a blockade would be imposed on the West Bank during the Easter Period for security reasons. The prime minister also warned firm action would be taken in response to any attacks on citizens or soldiers.
Two Israeli soldiers and two Palestinian militants were killed in clashes in Gaza on Friday, the worst incident there since the beginning of last year.
One of the two Israeli victims was buried in Jerusalem on Sunday.
Wires > News
- 04:18 CET Top North Korean official visits China – Kyodo
- 03:27 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korean officials
- 03:11 CET China’s Xi says hopes to get Philippines ties back on track
- 01:55 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister quits over leaked recordings
- 01:42 CET Ohio zoo defends safety where boy climbed barrier and gorilla died
- 01:18 CET Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case
- 00:35 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 23:51 CET Heavy air strikes on Syria’s Idlib kill and injure dozens – monitor