Demonstrators protesting at Israel’s Easter blockade on the West Bank territories have clashed with guards at a checkpoint on the route from Bethlehem to Jerusalem.
The marchers included Muslim and Christian worshippers, as well as secular protesters.
They said they wished to attend churches in Jerusalem to celebrate Palm Sunday but were turned away by Israeli security forces.
Benjamin Netanyahu’s government announced on Sunday that a blockade would be imposed on the West Bank during the Easter Period for security reasons. The prime minister also warned firm action would be taken in response to any attacks on citizens or soldiers.
Two Israeli soldiers and two Palestinian militants were killed in clashes in Gaza on Friday, the worst incident there since the beginning of last year.
One of the two Israeli victims was buried in Jerusalem on Sunday.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…