France’s President Sarkozy has kept well away from the campaigning in the regional elections, hoping they would be seen as votes on local issues rather than a midterm verdict on his job.
His prime minister has led the charge, and it has failed.
“We were not able to convince the electorate. I take my share of the blame and tomorrow morning I’ll speak about it with the President. We have to analyse this vote and respect it,” said Francois Fillon.
The Socialist-Green alliance led by Martine Aubry has taken every region except Alsace, which they had coveted to snatch a grand slam.
Three years into the political revolution promised by Sarkozy it appears the French have tired of their president and his UMP party.
It also seems voters were keen to express themselves, as turnout was up by two points on six years ago, at around 52%.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 07:20 CET Thai election pushed back to 2016: deputy PM
- 07:09 CET West struggles with Russia’s ‘ambiguous warfare’ tactics
- 04:39 CET Pakistan under pressure to save trade agenda at South Asia summit
- 03:55 CET Young sister of North Korean leader takes senior party post: KCNA
- 03:48 CET Exclusive – Japan eyes military aid to spur defence exports, build…
- 03:30 CET Special Report – How China’s shadowy agency is working to absorb…
- 02:01 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 01:57 CET Taiwan vote tests waters for pro-China government ahead of…