It is known as Clean Portugal – a massive campaign to clear away waste and litter from the countryside.
Tens of thousands of people have taken part in the operation, including the country’s president.
The project was the brainchild of three off-road vehicle fans, who heard about a similar campaign launched in Estonia.
Thousands of so-called hotspots were identified across Portugal, with old car parts and household appliances among the rubbish collected.
The army joined in, and the operation was supported by local councils and the environment ministry.
Wires > News
- 20:02 CET White House placed on partial security lockdown – official
- 19:32 CET Libyan oil guard says captures coastal town from Islamic State…
- 19:31 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 19:25 CET Chad’s ex-leader Habre, Cold War-era ally of West, gets life in…
- 18:56 CET Syrian opposition to decide new negotiating team next week after…
- 18:53 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 16:36 CET Big cats removed from Thailand’s infamous Tiger Temple