Austria’s Catholic Church has expressed deep shame and regret over a growing child sex buse scandal.
It has now been revealed a priest from the south east region of Austria is suspected of abusing up to 20 children.
The news follows the resignation of Arch-Abbot Bruno Becker following sex-abuse allegations dating back 40 years.
Becker was the head of a monastery in Salzburg, now Kalksburg College in Vienna is also under investigation after allegations by former pupils including artist Andre Heller.
“In my personal case, he did not abuse me,” he said. “I had a special relationship because he came to my bed and tenderly touched my head in this room where many children slept in military beds, he gave me some chocolate which was nice for me because I was always looking for tenderness in this strict regime.”
“Was it abuse?”
“Not for me, I have not been abused, He just caressed me.”
The scandal first came to light in the Netherlands where Catholic bishops have ordered an independent inquiry into alleged child sex-abuse by clergymen.
Church authorities in Germany, Ireland and the US have all been tainted by child sex-abuse scandals and efforts to cover them up at the highest levels.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 13:11 CET Stalin-era prison chief jailed for 20 years in Romania
- 13:06 CET Syrian rebels demand U.S. action ahead of peace talks
- 12:46 CET Afghan police officer killed after firing on coalition troops
- 12:42 CET At least six killed at Cameroon funeral by two suicide attackers
- 12:36 CET Ayatollah Khomeini’s grandson banned from running in Iran election…
- 12:23 CET Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov says life threatened in Moscow…
- 12:08 CET Indian scientists express doubt over meteorite death attribution
- 12:02 CET France’s Fabius leaves office, wider reshuffle due