Austria’s Catholic Church has expressed deep shame and regret over a growing child sex buse scandal.
It has now been revealed a priest from the south east region of Austria is suspected of abusing up to 20 children.
The news follows the resignation of Arch-Abbot Bruno Becker following sex-abuse allegations dating back 40 years.
Becker was the head of a monastery in Salzburg, now Kalksburg College in Vienna is also under investigation after allegations by former pupils including artist Andre Heller.
“In my personal case, he did not abuse me,” he said. “I had a special relationship because he came to my bed and tenderly touched my head in this room where many children slept in military beds, he gave me some chocolate which was nice for me because I was always looking for tenderness in this strict regime.”
“Was it abuse?”
“Not for me, I have not been abused, He just caressed me.”
The scandal first came to light in the Netherlands where Catholic bishops have ordered an independent inquiry into alleged child sex-abuse by clergymen.
Church authorities in Germany, Ireland and the US have all been tainted by child sex-abuse scandals and efforts to cover them up at the highest levels.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 12:23 CET Five dead in helicopter crash in France near Swiss border
- 12:20 CET Putin says sanctions will not stop Russia becoming economic power
- 12:10 CET Putin says Russia wants to move to national currencies in trade
- 11:53 CET Rapists confess as Kenyan cleric takes up equality struggle
- 11:37 CET U.N. nuclear watchdog pushes for headway in Iran inquiry -…
- 11:31 CET North Korea, already under U.N. sanctions, prepares launch site…
- 10:58 CET Modi aims to shake up sanitation with Clean India drive
- 10:43 CET Interpol opens Singapore centre to fight cyber crime