Austria’s Catholic Church has expressed deep shame and regret over a growing child sex buse scandal.
It has now been revealed a priest from the south east region of Austria is suspected of abusing up to 20 children.
The news follows the resignation of Arch-Abbot Bruno Becker following sex-abuse allegations dating back 40 years.
Becker was the head of a monastery in Salzburg, now Kalksburg College in Vienna is also under investigation after allegations by former pupils including artist Andre Heller.
“In my personal case, he did not abuse me,” he said. “I had a special relationship because he came to my bed and tenderly touched my head in this room where many children slept in military beds, he gave me some chocolate which was nice for me because I was always looking for tenderness in this strict regime.”
“Was it abuse?”
“Not for me, I have not been abused, He just caressed me.”
The scandal first came to light in the Netherlands where Catholic bishops have ordered an independent inquiry into alleged child sex-abuse by clergymen.
Church authorities in Germany, Ireland and the US have all been tainted by child sex-abuse scandals and efforts to cover them up at the highest levels.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 5Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:52 CET Japan’s top court orders retrial in ‘maternity harassment’ case
- 11:48 CET East of Kobani, Turkish town appreciates ‘peace’ brought by…
- 11:43 CET Burkina Faso opposition challenges president’s bid to extend term
- 11:38 CET Russian prosecutors detain more suspects in Total CEO plane crash
- 11:37 CET Tunisian policeman killed in clash with militants – ministry
- 11:25 CET Special Report – Why Ukraine’s revolution remains unfinished
- 11:01 CET North Korea to bar foreign tourists over Ebola concerns – tour…
- 10:59 CET Lebanese army kills three men in raid – security sources