Local election results from the Netherlands are sending shockwaves through the country after the far-right PVV party of Geert Wilders made strong gains.
Wilder’s anti-Islamic party gained a town of 150,000, Almere, and came second in The Hague, at the expense of the two big traditional parties of government.
“I’m a happy man. We have a mandate to govern here in Almere, and that’s what we’ll try to do, here and in The Hague. I guess my colleagues will start tomorrow,” said Wilders.
Prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende’s Christian Democrats remain the largest party, but for how long? Some worry Wilders could take top spot in June’s general election.
“All that Wilders and his people come up with is headscarf bans. What are we talking about? I find it so terrible, and I’m ashamed.”
“We don’t know this party at all. He talks a lot, but you know nothing. I want to see results, then you can judge, not before,” were just two voters’ opinions.
With the mainstream left and right parties floundering other fringe groups like the Greens and far-left did well too, but Wilders PVV may now command a quarter of the electorate, which could be a political game-changer in three months time.
Latest world news
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Bye bye San Francisco, destination Phoenix for Solar Impulse 2
Russians offered free land in the country’s Far East
Jail term upheld for faulty breast implants company boss
Wires > News
- 20:50 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 20:20 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down
- 19:40 CET Saudi minister confirms warning on proposed U.S. law on 9/11
- 19:32 CET One person killed by rocket fire in Turkey’s Kilis – source
- 19:32 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 19:23 CET Honduras arrests suspects in killing of activist Caceres
- 19:18 CET Kerry aims to extend truce to Syria’s Aleppo as ceasefire unravels
- 19:08 CET Prisoners revolt in Syria’s Hama jail, seize guards – Syrian…