Filmmaker Roman Polanski was not present to receive a Best Director Silver Bear award at the 60th Berlinale Film Festival.
Friends picked up the prize for the 76-year-old, who
is under house arrest in Switzerland as he fights extradition to the US where he is wanted for an underage sex case dating back 33 years.
‘The Ghost Writer’ is about a writer hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. The film had its premiere at Berlin.
Turkish film ‘Honey’ was the surprise winner of the coveted Golden Bear for Best Picture. The film features a critically-acclaimed performance by the young Bora Altas as a six-year-old who must face momentous changes at a tender age. The film, which has only sparse dialogue, tells the story of a young boy who ventures into the woods to find his missing father, who is a beekeeper.
Russian film ‘How I Ended This Summer’ picked up several awards. The two stars shared Best Actor, while the director picked up the prize for Outstanding Artistic Contribution.
- 1Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 2‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 3Aleksandar Vucic becomes first Serbian leader to visit Albania
- 4Britain’s Queen outlines government priorities during state opening of parliament
- 5UEFA wants FIFA vote to be called off amid corruption turmoil
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 07:36 CET China cybersecurity plan aims to protect state secrets: official…
- 07:08 CET Leave cancelled for India’s doctors as heat wave kills 1,300
- 07:04 CET U.S. hopes Chinese island-building will spur Asian response
- 06:59 CET Iran, North Korea forging ballistic, nuclear ties – dissidents
- 06:15 CET Chief U.S. negotiator in Iran talks to leave State Dept: NYT
- 06:01 CET Ex-Guantanamo inmate Khadr uncertain about firefight memory – paper
- 05:23 CET World football rocked by U.S., Swiss arrests of officials for graft
- 04:43 CET U.S. military mistakenly ships live anthrax to labs in nine states