Filmmaker Roman Polanski was not present to receive a Best Director Silver Bear award at the 60th Berlinale Film Festival.
Friends picked up the prize for the 76-year-old, who
is under house arrest in Switzerland as he fights extradition to the US where he is wanted for an underage sex case dating back 33 years.
‘The Ghost Writer’ is about a writer hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. The film had its premiere at Berlin.
Turkish film ‘Honey’ was the surprise winner of the coveted Golden Bear for Best Picture. The film features a critically-acclaimed performance by the young Bora Altas as a six-year-old who must face momentous changes at a tender age. The film, which has only sparse dialogue, tells the story of a young boy who ventures into the woods to find his missing father, who is a beekeeper.
Russian film ‘How I Ended This Summer’ picked up several awards. The two stars shared Best Actor, while the director picked up the prize for Outstanding Artistic Contribution.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 11Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 02:28 CET U.S. names new envoy for bid to close Guantanamo prison
- 02:03 CET Hong Kong expects large pro-democracy rally as it marks 1997…
- 23:19 CET Taiwan youth to China – Treat us like a country
- 22:42 CET Islamic State threatens to topple Hamas in Gaza
- 21:34 CET Legislation enacting Irish gay marriage vote delayed
- 21:15 CET Around 1,200 escape from Yemen prison, including al Qaeda suspects
- 21:07 CET Fearing euro exit, thousands of Greeks rally for ‘Yes’ vote
- 20:50 CET U.S., Iran presidents issue warnings as nuclear talks extended