Filmmaker Roman Polanski was not present to receive a Best Director Silver Bear award at the 60th Berlinale Film Festival.
Friends picked up the prize for the 76-year-old, who
is under house arrest in Switzerland as he fights extradition to the US where he is wanted for an underage sex case dating back 33 years.
‘The Ghost Writer’ is about a writer hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. The film had its premiere at Berlin.
Turkish film ‘Honey’ was the surprise winner of the coveted Golden Bear for Best Picture. The film features a critically-acclaimed performance by the young Bora Altas as a six-year-old who must face momentous changes at a tender age. The film, which has only sparse dialogue, tells the story of a young boy who ventures into the woods to find his missing father, who is a beekeeper.
Russian film ‘How I Ended This Summer’ picked up several awards. The two stars shared Best Actor, while the director picked up the prize for Outstanding Artistic Contribution.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 3Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 4Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 5Kentucky official jailed for refusing to recognise gay marriages
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Iran and Yemen top agenda as Saudi king meets Obama
Day of chaos hits Hungary as migrants march to Austria
Refugee boy’s drowning raises hopes for political solutions
Central European leaders underline opposition to migrant quotas
Five injured as fire tears through refugee shelter in Germany
Wires > News
- 22:27 CET Druze leader killed in car bomb in southern Syria – monitor
- 22:26 CET Thousands rally in Beirut over politician’s presidential election…
- 21:32 CET North Korean karaoke stirs fear of mass propaganda sing-along in…
- 21:09 CET German U.N. official seen as favourite for Libya post – envoys
- 20:48 CET From Vietnam War to a Turkish beach, the shock of the photo endures
- 19:53 CET U.N.-backed anti-graft body to probe ex-Guatemala leader’s assets
- 19:39 CET Iranian official says there are ways to free U.S. journalist – NPR
- 19:37 CET At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy…