Filmmaker Roman Polanski was not present to receive a Best Director Silver Bear award at the 60th Berlinale Film Festival.
Friends picked up the prize for the 76-year-old, who
is under house arrest in Switzerland as he fights extradition to the US where he is wanted for an underage sex case dating back 33 years.
‘The Ghost Writer’ is about a writer hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. The film had its premiere at Berlin.
Turkish film ‘Honey’ was the surprise winner of the coveted Golden Bear for Best Picture. The film features a critically-acclaimed performance by the young Bora Altas as a six-year-old who must face momentous changes at a tender age. The film, which has only sparse dialogue, tells the story of a young boy who ventures into the woods to find his missing father, who is a beekeeper.
Russian film ‘How I Ended This Summer’ picked up several awards. The two stars shared Best Actor, while the director picked up the prize for Outstanding Artistic Contribution.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down