The White House has said medical evacuation flights from Haiti to the US will resume following last week’s suspension.
Airlifts were stopped on Wednesday. Exactly what led to the halt is unclear but Florida’s governor had asked the federal government to share the cost, claiming his states’ healthcare system had reached saturation point.
Up until then the US military had brought hundreds of critically ill Haitians to the United States. Medical workers say the delay has seriously put injured patients in jeopardy. The resumption of flights comes as doctors also warn the makeshift facilities in the Caribbean nation are not equipped to treat critical conditions.
Meanwhile, nearly three weeks after the 7.0 magnitude earthquake killed up to 200,000 Haitians and left a million homeless the relief effort has adopted a new tactic.
Agencies are now handing out food parcels to women only, in an effort to prevent the young and strong taking everything.
The US and UN have been heavily criticised over the chaotic aid operation, with violent scenes at many food distribution points.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.