Magistrates across Italy have walked out of courts in protest against plans to speed up the country’s trial and appeal process.
In appeals court ceremonies from Sicily to Milan, to mark the start of the judicial year, magistrates left carrying copies of the constitution when government representatives began their speeches.
Luca Palamara, the President of the National Magistrates Union, which organised the protest, said it was also a demonstration against daily attacks by Silvio Berlusconi and other important government representatives.
Government officials described the protest as lacking in credibility and urged magistrates to engage in dialogue instead.
During a ceremony in L’Aquila, Justice Minister Angelino Alfano said the need for reform was urgent and that the government was determined to carry them out.
The draft bill would drastically cut the maximum duration of Italy’s trial and appeal process down to six from an average of 12 years.
But critics say, if passed, the legislation, would also mean the end of two corruption and tax fraud trials against Berlusconi.
The billionaire prime minister denies all charges and says he is the victim of magistrates who hound him.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
King of Spain dissolves parliament
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq